Question cant boot off new samsung 970 evo plus nvme

Lachmister1000

Reputable
Sep 4, 2016
my main boot drive was getting way too full for my liking so i bought a 500gb 970 evo plus. problem is, no matter what i try, windows setup never finishes its install, once it reboots it goes right back to the beginning. the ssd is getting the initial install. when looking at the partitions after the reboot, its obvious the windows installer has done everything it needs to before the restart. but when i go into the bios and boot off the ssd, all that comes up is reboot and select proper boot device. ive tried cloning, but i cant do that because the person who first installed windows made my old boot drive dynamic. and i cant clone any other hard drive i have with a fresh install of windows either because this ssd runs with 4096 bytes per sector, unlike all my others that run with 512. ive tried enabling and disabling csm, deleting secureboot keys. im utterly stuck on what the hell is going on

Yes, I see.
Windows on old drive is installed in legacy mode. Windows on new drive is installed in UEFI mode.

There are some differences for UEFI boot. In BIOS boot sequence you have to specify windows boot manager as first boot option to boot into UEFI (from new 970 evo plus).

Lachmister1000

Reputable
Sep 4, 2016
Yes, I see.
Windows on old drive is installed in legacy mode. Windows on new drive is installed in UEFI mode.

There are some differences for UEFI boot. In BIOS boot sequence you have to specify windows boot manager as first boot option to boot into UEFI (from new 970 evo plue).

in my bios csm has an option to boot with legacy and UEFI, or just either of the two
ive tried all three combinations, those being both legacy and UEFI, just legacy and just UEFI with no luck