[SOLVED] I can't install Windows from USB stick - - - "media driver is missing" error ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tompierce4

Honorable
Dec 20, 2018
Hi, I just built a new pc (parts below)

Ryzen 5 7600
RX6750XT
Asrock B650m-hdv/m.2
2x16GB TForce Delta DDR5 6000mhz
Kingston NV2 PCIE 4.0 2TB m.2
Corsair RM750E

I built the pc and it booted to the BIOS immediately however when I try to install windows 10 from a usb installation I am getting an error "a media driver your computer needs is missing".

I cannot figure out what drivers are needed. I have updated my BIOS to the latest version from the asrock site.

I have searched online for drivers but cannot find anything. I have tried to remove the usb installation media and plugging it back in while in the installation but that has not worked either.

Any help is much appreciated.

tompierce4

Honorable
Dec 20, 2018
Enable USB legacy support in BIOS? Try a different USB port (in the back)?

How was Win ISO imaged onto USB key?
Hi thanks for the reply,

I can't find any option for USB legacy support in the BIOS and I have tried all of the USB ports on the motherboard.

I created the USB installation media using the program from the Windows website and followed those steps

I can't find any option for USB legacy support in the BIOS and I have tried all of the USB ports on the motherboard.
I created the USB installation media using the program from the Windows website and followed those steps
Is NVME drive being detected in BIOS?
Can you show a screenshot? (upload to imgur.com and post link)

Try enabling CSM.
Make sure fast boot is disabled,
secure boot disabled and
sata controller is set to AHCI mode.

How long ago was windows installation media created?
If it was long ago (like a year ago), then recreate windows installation media, to include latest updates.

Last edited:

tompierce4

Honorable
Dec 20, 2018
Fixed! I just recreated the bootable windows install on a different USB drive and it worked, no issues. Thank you for the help

35below0

Commendable
Jan 3, 2024
Fixed! I just recreated the bootable windows install on a different USB drive and it worked, no issues. Thank you for the help
This can happen sometimes. The Win 11 USB i bought was faulty so i created my own, using Rufus.

It's much better to try a different stick than to fiddle with CSM and Secure Boot. It only causes trouble.
Also worth trying different USB ports on the motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.