Question Laptop still not working even after reinstalling Windows ?

UFRanger

Distinguished
May 26, 2014
I recently had issues with my HP Envy Laptop not booting up properly, which someone had diagnosed as a corrupt version of Windows 10, since it wouldn.t except any of the repair methods to fix the problem. so I did a fresh install of Win 10 (downloaded latest version) and installed it successfully.

I then began reinstalling my programs and some files that were on there I use , and re-did the settings. A few days ago, I noticed that my settings window would not stay open when I clicked on something, it would just disappear ( which is something that it did previously before it wouldn't boot at all) then today, it is telling me that it can.t repair windows, reset or restore...again!

SO, was this a corrupt hard drive (SSD) all along, vs a corrupt windows 10? And, would putting in a new SSD fix this correctly? And, do the Windows.old files effect the operation of the new install? ( in that I should get rid of them)

Thank you.

Lutfij

Titan
so I did a fresh install of Win 10 (downloaded latest version) and installed it successfully
Where did you source the installer for the OS? Did you install the OS in offline mode? If not, that's what you need to do and then manually install all drivers relevant to your laptop in an elevated command with the latest driver versions, then connect to the internet to update the OS.

HP have a number of Envy's listed under their product portfolio, which one do you have? An SKU would help us two fold. BIOS version for your laptop at this moment of time?

If you want to rule out an SSD as the root cause of the issue, you might want to source(borrow, not buy or see if you have a drive lying around) and then try reinstalling the OS onto said drive.

Apr 30, 2024
As far as I know it might be a SSD malfunction or a malware hidden in your files since you said that you have reinstalled win10 on that drive and the OS still keeps getting corrupted files that lead to and unrepairable OS. The "Windows.old" files are the files from the last Windows OS installed with all it's malfunctions that it had. They are usually used when the new OS has some malfunctions and you want to make a recovery to that OS in order to be able to access your files(in your case that would not help you with anything and you can delete that Windows.old files by using disk cleanup tool).

I'm saying that it could also be a malware because that is more like a malware behavior. I've also got a malware and it stared by crashing setting app when I access the update section and after every power off/on it just kept getting worse until the recovery tool wasn't able to repair the OS.

Try to reinstall win10 again and install Bitdefender(or anyother AV like Malwarebites that has a 30-day trial period) and make a full system scan and if it doesn't find any malware than you can consider a SSD fault and try use another SSD/HDD if it happens to have. You can also try to install an app like Samsung Magician or something else that has a bad sector scanner in order to find out if there is any problem with it. Hope this will help you.

UFRanger

Distinguished
May 26, 2014
so I did a fresh install of Win 10 (downloaded latest version) and installed it successfully
Where did you source the installer for the OS? Did you install the OS in offline mode? If not, that's what you need to do and then manually install all drivers relevant to your laptop in an elevated command with the latest driver versions, then connect to the internet to update the OS.

HP have a number of Envy's listed under their product portfolio, which one do you have? An SKU would help us two fold. BIOS version for your laptop at this moment of time?

If you want to rule out an SSD as the root cause of the issue, you might want to source(borrow, not buy or see if you have a drive lying around) and then try reinstalling the OS onto said drive.

I recently had issues with my HP Envy Laptop not booting up properly, which someone had diagnosed as a corrupt version of Windows 10, since it wouldn.t except any of the repair methods to fix the problem. so I did a fresh install of Win 10 (downloaded latest version) and installed it successfully.
I then began putting back on my programs and some files that were on there I use , and redid the settings. A few days ago, I noticed that my settings window would not stay open when I clicked on something, it would just disappear ( which is something that it did previously before it wouldn't boot at all) then today, it is telling me that it can.t repair windows, reset or restore...again!
SO, was this a corrupt hard drive (SSD) all along, vs a corrupt windows 10? And, would putting in a new SSD fix this correctly? And, do the Windows.old files effect the operation of the new install? ( in that I should get rid of them)
Please and Thank you.

I don't have a drive to test.
I downloaded WIn 10 from microsoft website to usb drive to boot from. i know i was offline when i did the install, and when I got back online it did 3 or 4 updates and was working fine, til it wasn't again
I don't know what version BIOS I have or SKU.
As far as which Envy I have, all I can say is that I bought it in 2018

UFRanger

Distinguished
May 26, 2014
As far as I know it might be a SSD malfunction or a malware hidden in your files since you said that you have reinstalled win10 on that drive and the OS still keeps getting corrupted files that lead to and unrepairable OS. The "Windows.old" files are the files from the last Windows OS installed with all it's malfunctions that it had. They are usually used when the new OS has some malfunctions and you want to make a recovery to that OS in order to be able to access your files(in your case that would not help you with anything and you can delete that Windows.old files by using disk cleanup tool). I'm saying that it could also be a malware because that is more like a malware behavior. I've also got a malware and it stared by crashing setting app when I access the update section and after every power off/on it just kept getting worse until the recovery tool wasn't able to repair the OS. Try to reinstall win10 again and install Bitdefender(or anyother AV like Malwarebites that has a 30-day trial period) and make a full system scan and if it doesn't find any malware than you can consider a SSD fault and try use another SSD/HDD if it happens to have. You can also try to install an app like Samsung Magician or something else that has a bad sector scanner in order to find out if there is any problem with it. Hope this will help you.
I have a version of Spybot search and destroy. don't know if it was effective (free version)
Kool, sounds like a plan, many thanks

Reactions: Vasile01Ro
Apr 30, 2024
I have a version of Spybot search and destroy. don't know if it was effective (free version)
Kool, sounds like a plan, many thanks
I've also saw somewhere that if the CPU is a little damage it may cause some corruption in files because it doesn't execute the well but I think that's very rare but you may consider it if all the other things(SSD not faulty or no malware) are fine, like to take as the last option.🤓