Question Cant boot unless plugged in another building & back home

Ruriko

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2013
I'm having trouble booting my PC it literally takes like over dozen times to boot. I tried discharging by unplugging everything and then press & hold power button for one minute. Re-plugged back everything but still failed to boot. Already tried clearing CMOS but same result.

I went to a friends house to see if it would boot and it did boot. I went home and tried to boot and it works so it was really strange cause if discharging didn't work so why did plugging in another house worked? Two months later the same booting problem came back so I had to visit friends house to get it booting.

Does anyone know what the problem is cause it requires plugging in another house and then plugging back at home to get stable booting for a couple months? I can't claim warranty since its hard to replicate the problem

PC Specs:

Case: Deepcool CK560 Mid-Tower – Black [DPC-CK560-ATX-BLK]
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 7600 | 6 Cores | 3.8 GHz (Max 5.1 GHz) [AMD-R5-7600]
MOTHERBOARD: MSI PRO B650-P WI-FI ATX – DDR5 [MSI-PRO-B650P-ATX-WIFI]
RAM: ADATA XPG SPECTRIX RGB 32GB (2x16GB) 6000MHz DDR5 – Black [ADTA-XPG-LANCER-2X16GB-6000M]
GPU: MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 VENTUS 3X OC – 12GB [MSI-RTX4070-VENTUSOC-12GB]
POWER SUPPLY: InWin 850W 80 Plus Gold – Modular [INW-P85-GLD]
CPU COOLING SYSTEM: DeepCool AK400 Air Cooler [DPC-COOLER-AK400]
THERMAL COMPOUND: Stock Thermal Compound
Case Fans: 4x DeepCool Stock 120mm ARGB Fans
PRIMARY SSD: 500GB GIGABYTE AORUS M.2 Gen4 M.2 (R: 5000MBs| W: 3800MB/s) [GIG-AORUS-SSD-500GB-M2]
FIRST HARD DRIVE: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM [SGT-BRCDA-HDD-1TB]
WI-FI & BLUETOOTH: Onboard Motherboard Wi-Fi & Bluetooth

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I have personally seen a similar issue where a system I built for a family member would work great anywhere but at their residence. It took a different PSU to resolve the matter and I really never understood the "why" of the issue. The replaced PSU would as expected everywhere else.

At home, do you use an UPS or surge suppressor to connect power to your rig?

Ruriko

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2013
I have personally seen a similar issue where a system I built for a family member would work great anywhere but at their residence. It took a different PSU to resolve the matter and I really never understood the "why" of the issue. The replaced PSU would as expected everywhere else.

At home, do you use an UPS or surge suppressor to connect power to your rig?
I use a surge protector. UPS is not commonly used for consumers its mostly for business, well at least in my country

Test your outlet for proper polarity.
A $10 tester like this will do it:
https://www.amazon.com/Receptacle-T...MIk9HtvIT3hQMVR25_AB3FIQmFEAQYBSABEgLq4PD_BwE

Next, to completely reset your pc, you should disconnect the power cord.
PSU on/off switch is not sufficient. Plugged in, there is still residual power to the motherboard.

Lastly, if you can boot by turning the psu switch on or off, there is something wrong.
The cue to the motherboard to boot is the temporary shorting of the two front panel PWR and ground pins.

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
I'm having trouble booting my PC it literally takes like over dozen times to boot. I tried discharging by unplugging everything and then press & hold power button for one minute. Re-plugged back everything but still failed to boot. Already tried clearing CMOS but same result.

I went to a friends house to see if it would boot and it did boot. I went home and tried to boot and it works so it was really strange cause if discharging didn't work so why did plugging in another house worked? Two months later the same booting problem came back so I had to visit friends house to get it booting.

Does anyone know what the problem is cause it requires plugging in another house and then plugging back at home to get stable booting for a couple months? I can't claim warranty since its hard to replicate the problem

PC Specs:

There is another factor to consider other than the outlet, i.e. when you take the computer to another location, you are also subjecting it to movement. If you have a poor connection somewhere inside, that could cause it. But as others mentioned, it could also be the PSU.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Is this the only PC at your residence?

Assuming all of your PC components are installed and operating normally, the logical assumption would be to suspect the home's electrical wiring.

As stated earlier, I personally experienced something very similar to your scenario a couple years ago. It took a different PSU to resolve the matter. There was another PC at this home and it worked perfectly well. The removed PSU still works well in another PC, just not where originally intended. I never did figure out why.

Reactions: stonecarver

Ruriko

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2013
Is this the only PC at your residence?

Assuming all of your PC components are installed and operating normally, the logical assumption would be to suspect the home's electrical wiring.

As stated earlier, I personally experienced something very similar to your scenario a couple years ago. It took a different PSU to resolve the matter. There was another PC at this home and it worked perfectly well. The removed PSU still works well in another PC, just not where originally intended. I never did figure out why.
If its home electrical wiring then wouldn't this affect other devices cause fridge, lightbulbs, microwave etc work fine.
Yes its the only PC but I do have a laptop and I regularly use it while plugged in, it doesn't have problems.

I can't claim warranty if the technician can't replicate my problem even though I sent them a video. I don't know what tests they can do replicate it