Can't boot windows after installing a new motherboard and processor.

Tonedog86

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
I installed a asrock 970m and a fx 8350. It it recognizing the board,processor and ram. It's a hp 6310y desktop. It's windows 7 home premium. Inahve the driver disk in the drive. It wants to load windows but then goes back to system reboot. It does a windows boot check and pops up a hp support deal. Is it that the win7 is licensed to hp and since I change the oem board it's not wanting to let it boot up. Also I'm not to computer savy. Juse enough to get me in trouble lol

Tonedog86

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
If I reinstall it will it still be licensed under hp? Also will it delete all my info pics and documents? On the system recovery part ,it's under the hp system recovery screen. The hp support people basically hung up on me.

USAFRet

Titan

New motherboard = 'not HP anymore'
You may well need to purchase a new OS, as your existing one is an OEM license.

Your pics and docs? Save then elsewhere first.

Tonedog86

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
Well I'll install old stuff and get all my info off there. I know this is probably silly question but how do I Uninstall and install new windows if I can't do anything with the new board in?

USAFRet

Titan

Do you have a DVD or USB to install from?
Do you have the license key?

Tonedog86

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
I have a disk drive and usb ports

But I'll go buy windows 10 tomorrow. And I'm assuming it will come with all thinges needed. I've just read that if I install the new windows with the oem board it will still be licensed to hp with the new board in and stuff I can't go anywhere other then the asrock bios. I'm not jsut not sure on how to uninstall/install on new board. I'm kinda learning this stuff as I go along. Sry.

USAFRet

Titan
Put your system back together with the old hardware.
Boot up.
Copy off to some other drive, anything you need to keep.
Verify you have EVERYTHING
Look at that again, because there is no going back.

Go buy Win 10
Install your new hardware
Install the OS on that new hardware
It will know nothing about "HP"

When you install the OS, it will ask 'where'
Select Custom.
Do that, and delete ALL existing partitions
Install the OS to the remaining large space.

Tonedog86

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
Ok. I gladly appreciate your info. One last thing if I put the new win disc in how will I be able to do anything if it juse keep goin back to recovery mode. Will it jsut automatically boot up the windows and ask me to restart it all? That's my last question and I'll quit bugging you. Thank you.

USAFRet

Titan

Look in the BIOS boot order.
If needed, change it to DVD first.
It will boot from that, and off you go.

Or, whatever key invokes the boot selection in your BIOS on power ON...do that.
Maybe F12.

Tonedog86

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
Ok Yeah I seen where to change the boot order. I can do that. Could that be my problem with it now or will it still not matter because of license reasons. I have the board driver disk in tjere now but I can get into the asrock bios and it's reading everything. So I was assuming that part of it was fine.

USAFRet

Titan

No, that has nothing to do with the licensing.