Can't boot windows after installing New DVD burner Disk Boot failure

jmath7825

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013
Ok so basically I have 2 Hard Drives
and they both have Windows 7 installations in fact when I boot I can select which windows I want to load only thing is I needed the Sata cable on the oldest Hard drive for my DVD drive I just got but my PC throws a fit if the old drive is not plugged in and it says Disk boot failure I only use it for storage now and my Newest drive for windows but I can't get the thing to boot without the other please help

Solution
Hi

It looks like the boot files for both the windows installations are on one hard drive which is the one you have removed

It maybe fixable if you boot off the correct widows DVD or USB or repair disks

It helps if only 1 hard disk in place when installing windows so the boot partition is on correct drive

(In a win 8 section asking about win 7 problems ?)
Are you talking about sata power or data cable ?

Sata to molex power adapter or splitter
cables easy fixes power problem

Regards
Mike Barnes
Hi

It looks like the boot files for both the windows installations are on one hard drive which is the one you have removed

It maybe fixable if you boot off the correct widows DVD or USB or repair disks

It helps if only 1 hard disk in place when installing windows so the boot partition is on correct drive

(In a win 8 section asking about win 7 problems ?)
Are you talking about sata power or data cable ?

Sata to molex power adapter or splitter
cables easy fixes power problem

Regards
Mike Barnes

Solution

jmath7825

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013
mbarnes68 and USARet you were both correct about the boot file issue, best answer went to mbarnes, since he solved it first although, I do thank you both for the awesome info. I loaded up my Win 7 install CD and did a repair on the installation and presto, it fixed the issue. I'll remember from now on to only leave connected the drive I wish to install windows on.

TRENDING THREADS