Can't boot with SSD plugged in

Insaniak

Commendable
Mar 19, 2016
Alright so this is what happened
I have an OCZ vertex SSD and a regular hdd I've had no problems what's so ever until now. It's been about 2 years. I shut my computer off like normal and I woke up and my computer would not boot it does either one of two things loops boot cycle OR freezes on Windows is starting screen. This is with both SSD and HDD connected now with just my HDD and no SSD connected I can boot just fine With both I cannot boot and with just the SSD I cannot boot. Both drives have an OS and my SSD is my main drive. Both drives do show up in bios. I've tried resetting bios and that has not worked also tried to possible to Windows repair using disc but it freezes when I have SSD. At this point I'm not sure what to do I can't even boot up with another hard drive for data recovery

popatim

Titan
In the future, make sure your data is already backed up. With SSD's, in my experience, there is little hope of any recovery. Trim and Garbage Collection usually make sure that any space marked free is overwritten with 0's.

Boot with the HDD and No SSD. Once booted, connect the SSD and see if you can recover your data. Make sure you have someplace to recover to first as you may not have much time to access it, if you get any at all.

Good luck.

Insaniak

Commendable
Mar 19, 2016
No I can't it's gone pretty sure. In Windows 7 it won't show up at all. Tried Linux and I see the drive but cannot access it. I did do a backup 3 months ago so I'm fortunate in that regards I didn't loose much data. I'd be curious to now if there is a program that can regularly backup data without hogging resources and without me giving it much attention.