Question Can't boot

rtomas99

Honorable
Sep 9, 2017
Hi
Putting together a new system. Got all assembled in case and tested powering on. MB, fans, GPU all light up and turn on. However, after about 15-18 sec, it will instantly power off, then power back on in about 5 sec. It keeps doing this repeatedly. Nothing shows up on the screen to indicate anything, just a black screen mostly reporting not connected.
Checked all connections, rechecked proper sitting of CPU, rechecked proper placement and contact with cooler.
Any suggestions?

Thanks
Robert

MSI Pro Z690-A Wifi
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2X16) DDR4 3600 (PC4-28800) C18 1.35v
Intel Core i9-12900K - Core i9 12th Gen Alder Lake 16-Core (8P+8E) 3.2 GHz LGA 1700 125W Intel UHD Graphics 770 Desktop Processor - BX8071512900K
Noctua NH-D15 Cooler
Corsair RMX RM1000x 1000 watt Gold

rtomas99

Honorable
Sep 9, 2017
No, no bios screen ....nothing. Noted that red led indicating cpu problem light is on. Tested it out with another identical cpu since my son also bought same parts for his build.
No change in led light or boot issues.
Wonder about the Noctua cooler. Is rated for lga 1700 but if cooling is an issue ??
As far as ram goes, I've taken out all parts and connections including taking out the ram sticks. Still red cpu light on mb. Shouldn't I still be able to boot into BIOS even without any ram sticks? If I remove both cpu power cables to the top of the board, just leaving the mainboard power attached, it will turn on and run, probably bec. cpu not getting powered. Plugging either one back in produces red led.

So, I've emptied the MB, just leaving cpu with cooler and front panel connectors and will still get red led and rebooting behavior.
I've switched out cpu's , same issue so it's not the cpu.
Reseated the cooler several times to ensure appropriate contact and pressure. No change. Is there a cooler pressure sensor or just a heat sensor?

rtomas99

Honorable
Sep 9, 2017
I think problem turned out to be defective motherboard. My son had also bought new components to build a pc so we put my cpu and cooler on his MB. Booted fine. Kept same configuration but switched out MBs back to mine and same problem.
Gonna RMA back to Amazon.
Thanks for your help

Reactions: AntonyLovric

AntonyLovric

Distinguished
RE: Shouldn't I still be able to boot into BIOS even without any ram sticks? If I remove both cpu power cables to the top of the board, just leaving the mainboard power attached, it will turn on and run, probably bec. cpu not getting powered. Plugging either one back in produces red led.

Generally no, you should get some type of beep/POST code from the MB if you boot without RAM.

Antony

FYI - these are awesome for enthusiast. The $16 will pay for itself in the long run: 4 Digit PCI & ISA PC Computer Motherboard Analyzer Tester Diagnostic Debug POST Card w/ External Display : Amazon.ca: Electronics