Can't change folders from Read-only

jorsmie123

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
Whenever I try to remove the read-only attribute in properties from a folder it doesn't save. I uncheck the read-only attribute and hit apply and ok, but when I open the folder properties again, the box is checked again. Does anybody now a fix?

Solution
no, its how its meant to be. All folders in win 10 are read only but since you should have permissions to use them, it doesn't matter. Are you being stopped?

I spent weeks trying to change it, it wouldn't let me save any files into the folders, it was a permissions problem I solved creating a homegroup and PC stopped fighting me.

Colif

Win 11 Master
no, its how its meant to be. All folders in win 10 are read only but since you should have permissions to use them, it doesn't matter. Are you being stopped?

I spent weeks trying to change it, it wouldn't let me save any files into the folders, it was a permissions problem I solved creating a homegroup and PC stopped fighting me.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

What folder is this?
Generally, if the OS designates it as read only, you probably shouldn't be changing that.

Colif

Win 11 Master
It applies to all of them, its just how win 10 works. Every folder is read only - have a look at any of their properties..

I have tried this before, when I first got win 10 last year. The folders are read only but it can be a permissions problem if you can't save to any of them.

USAFRet

Titan

??? Every folder?
This is a folder, on the root of C, created Dec 3, when I did a full reinstall of this OS.
lTJSipG.png

A file copied into that folder today, if fully editable.
Once inside that folder, Right click, New....create a new text fiel.

I'm not seeing:
1. The issue the OP is having
2. The overall 'read only' ness of "Every folder is read only"

Colif

Win 11 Master
Attributes: Read only?? its in your picture. I would think that is what he is trying to change.

Maybe because your permissions are fine, it works for you (us)

He hasn't responded yet so don't know what his actual problem is :)

USAFRet

Titan

Right.
I see that it specifically says: "Read-only (Only applies to files in folder)"
However....that actually does not mean what it says, because the actual files in that folder are fully editable.

If 'every folder' in Windows 10 were "Read-only", the OS would not work.

Now...if this were some folder the OS created, it probably should not be messed with. For a reason.

Colif

Win 11 Master
if you have a user whose permissions are wrong, then you can't save files into that folder as it says you don't have the right access to do it. So while a user with right permissions can do anything in most folders, the other person finds themselves locked out of basic folders like My Documents. I have messed up folders on my PC from that very thing happening last year. So I been through this before. It wouldn't let Steam work as i didn't have access to My Documents.

I could create files but I couldn't save changes to them - that gets confusing when you have homework on PC and can't save any changes... i just used a USB drive for a few weeks as it didn't seem to apply to it.

It seemed tied to Onedrive as it had more access to my own PC than I did, but fix was to make a Homegroup. I don't know why, but it worked.