[SOLVED] Can't change screen refresh rate to 144Hz.

Mar 27, 2020
Hi, after small problems with my computer (didn't want to start but after disassembling GPU and RAM, small amount of dust removal and assembling it, it starts normally) I can't change refresh rate higher than 60Hz. I have two displays Samsung C27JG5x 2560x1440 144hz and samsung s22e390 1980x1080 60Hz. Before small problems my main display was running at 144Hz. I have Display Port cable which is connected to first display and hdmi connected to other. Updated drivers for my GTX 1080 but it didnt change enything. Also tried changing ports in my GPU. After changing it for the first time there were available 75 100 120 refresh rates. After second change there was only available 60Hz. When i change to lower resolution like 800x600 available refresh rates are 75Hz 60Hz 59Hz.

Also during trying solivng this problem bios didnt recognize my ssd where windows is installed. I changed cables from my hdd to ssd and its working fine.

Solution
Wait, were you connected to the monitor via HDMI? I thought DP was to this monitor & HDMI to the other?

There's an HDMI 1.4 and a 2.0 on the monitor. If you want to use HDMI, make sure you're connected to the 2.0 port to allow for 144Hz.

No reason the 144Hz monitor shouldn't be connected via DP though, and HDMI to the other.
Mar 27, 2020
Thanks for replying. I changed cable to hdmi that was included with this monitor and its back to 144Hz. So problem might be in DisplayPort cable or ports. Anyway thread is closed.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Wait, were you connected to the monitor via HDMI? I thought DP was to this monitor & HDMI to the other?

There's an HDMI 1.4 and a 2.0 on the monitor. If you want to use HDMI, make sure you're connected to the 2.0 port to allow for 144Hz.

No reason the 144Hz monitor shouldn't be connected via DP though, and HDMI to the other.

Solution
Mar 27, 2020
I was using DP and hdmi because i have only one hdmi port in my gpu. When i was trying to solve problem i tried hdmi from second monitor. It was probably 1.4 so 144hz didnt work. Then i found "high speed hdmi" that was included with 144hz monitor. Tried it and it worked. Already ordered another DP cable and for now im using only one monitor. Also there is one wierd thing. When i was reaching 144fps on doom etrnal and action intensified screen was going black for miliseconds so probably that "high speed" cable isnt that much fast.