Can't change screen resolution

TKai

Honorable
Feb 4, 2015
I have a Windows 7 (64 Bit) PC. I recently got a new touchscreen monitor that I want to use as an extended monitor, but when I used it, it made my normal screen monitor resolution change so I disconnected it and factory reset my PC, so I can get my normal monitor screen resolution fixed. It didn't change a thing.

The default resolution is 1024x768 and the resolution box is grayed out so I can't even select it to change it. All the boxes and windows on my screen are huge and it's really uncomfortable for me. I want the boxes and writing to be smaller.

Please, can anyone help me with this?

Here is an image of me trying to change the resolution and you'll see the resolution drop down menu grayed out:

32bbe38ce84084da88fa4b6e467a3a0b.png

Solution
I have not seen a generic non plug and play monitor in quite some time(it was the 90's. a scan for hardware changes is a good idea for sure). Plug and Play screens report all the info needed to the system without the need for a driver.

I only recently bothered to install drivers for my monitors because I have 2 of them and want to see what is what. I also learned that Windows SUCKS at keeping color profiles when swapping screens.

By the fact that you have transparency on Windows you have at least a functional video card driver. To get the latest just head over the the card makers(Nvidia/AMD/Intel) or system makers(Dell/HP/Asus) website.

If you know the resolutions supported, you can add them in your video card software. Take care as...
It looks and sounds like you need to install your graphics driver. You can usually do that by running windows updates, but it's probably best to go to the manufacturer's website and be sure you're getting the most up to date version. Once you do that, it should pick up your monitors correctly. If not, go to the device manager and scan for new hardware.

I have not seen a generic non plug and play monitor in quite some time(it was the 90's. a scan for hardware changes is a good idea for sure). Plug and Play screens report all the info needed to the system without the need for a driver.

I only recently bothered to install drivers for my monitors because I have 2 of them and want to see what is what. I also learned that Windows SUCKS at keeping color profiles when swapping screens.

By the fact that you have transparency on Windows you have at least a functional video card driver. To get the latest just head over the the card makers(Nvidia/AMD/Intel) or system makers(Dell/HP/Asus) website.

If you know the resolutions supported, you can add them in your video card software. Take care as adding the wrong one will leave you with a blank screen or out or range error.

More information on the monitor models as well as your computer specs may help too.

Solution

TKai

Honorable
Feb 4, 2015

I have updated my graphics hardware (I downloaded GeForce Experience and it updated my graphics hardware). But how do I install the INF file for my monitors?

TKai

Honorable
Feb 4, 2015

I went to the Nvidia website and downloaded the updates for my graphics, I now changed my screen resolution to 1600x900, but should it still read "Generic Non-PnP Monitor" in the Display box?

As long as you can change the resolution to the native resolution for the monitor you do not have to install a driver for the screen.

If you want to install a driver read on.

The INF file comes from the screen maker

You just select update driver from the device manager and tell it you have the driver.

Hold the Start button on your keyboard(between the CRTL and ALT on most) and hit R
type devmgmt.msc and hit enter.
Select monitors from the list to show the one you are having issues with.
Right click and select Update Driver Software
Select Browser My computer for driver software.
Browse to the location of the INF file for your monitor.

You may also be able to get the driver from Windows update as well.

TKai

Honorable
Feb 4, 2015

My extended monitor isn't showing up on the monitor list, only the Generic Non-PnP Monitor shows up. This explains why I can't use the extend option no matter how hard I try, it's been on duplicate mode because it's not even showing up in the monitor list.

How do I get it to show up on the list? I have a dual VGA connector attached to my PC that is connected to both my normal monitor and my touchscreen monitor. I don't know why the touchscreen monitor isn't showing up on the list.

TKai

Honorable
Feb 4, 2015

The touchscreen is called Huion GT-190 and the normal monitor is Samsung (I don't know the model). Also I use a VGA cable to connect them to my computer. I recently got a dual VGA cable so I can use an extend monitor.

Where would I find the INF file on the website? What sort of heading would it be under?

That dual VGA adapter worries me. It may also explain the non plug and play issue.

As the above user points out, many less cards come with dual VGA out now days(this includes DVI-I to VGA adapters). If you are luck a simple DVI-I to VGA adapter will be all you need. Failing that you will have to look at a active DVI/HDMI -> VGA converter.

VGA to 2 x VGA adapters are made for special cards that support this setup.