Question Can't connect any bluetooth audio device

May 1, 2019
Hi, I'm having trouble connecting my bluetooth headphones (wh-1000xm3) and speaker (xb-31) to my laptop. I have the XPS 9570 and I've tried replacing the wlan card but it didn't fix the issue so I'm guessing it has to do with Windows itself. When pairing the headphones it says "Voice connected" but it doesn't set itself as the default audio device. I have to manually select it in the settings but the problem is that the playback is horrible and I think it's being recognized as a headset. For the bluetooth speaker it pairs but it doesn't connect at all. I've tried looking everywhere online but no solution thus far. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

May 1, 2019
have you tried connecting it to another bluetooth device to rule out its a problem with the headset?
Yeah it connected to my mouse and phone with no problems.
However I want to update that I uninstalled all my bluetooth devices from device manager and the registry and I think I've almost solved it. Before uninstalling I only had the option of connecting to LE_WH-1000XM3 (see below) which apparently uses a low power connection and might be the reason it connects as a headset. After uninstalling I now have two options but I can't connect to the other one at all as shown in the screenshot.

VPg4330.jpg

I and similar issues and simply got tried of manually setting up a bluetooth speaker and simply wired it to my computer. This is a very common problem with Windows 10. BTW, it didn't seem to matter whether the bluetooth says headphones or speaker when it connects to a headphone or speaker. When it worked, it always said my speaker was a headphone. Anyway, you need to do a search of Windows 10 audio, pairs but doesn't connect. Here is one lik to the search, but there are many others. https://superuser.com/questions/102...etooth-speaker-but-doesnt-send-music-to-speak. One fix was click the notification bubble on the far left in the task bar> connect >find other types of devices. Delete the device not connecting and then clic add Bluetooth or other device. Windows should find your bluettoth device and load the drivers, and hopefully it will work. Also I found if I rebooted, the connection almost always paired.

May 1, 2019
I and similar issues and simply got tried of manually setting up a bluetooth speaker and simply wired it to my computer. This is a very common problem with Windows 10. BTW, it didn't seem to matter whether the bluetooth says headphones or speaker when it connects to a headphone or speaker. When it worked, it always said my speaker was a headphone. Anyway, you need to do a search of Windows 10 audio, pairs but doesn't connect. Here is one lik to the search, but there are many others. https://superuser.com/questions/102...etooth-speaker-but-doesnt-send-music-to-speak. One fix was click the notification bubble on the far left in the task bar> connect >find other types of devices. Delete the device not connecting and then clic add Bluetooth or other device. Windows should find your bluettoth device and load the drivers, and hopefully it will work. Also I found if I rebooted, the connection almost always paired.

None of them worked :(
Here's my list of drivers:
uKDxRkU.jpg

it says I have six copies of "Bluetooth LE Generic Attribute Service"?? is that normal?

May 1, 2019
Check this out https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-removal/0befc632-6197-413a-bb4b-068f21855c9a
  1. Press Windows key to get the Start menu.
  2. Type Troubleshooting in the search box right up corner and hit enter.
  3. Click on Troubleshooting tab.
  4. Click on view all option on the upper left corner.
  5. Select the Hardware and Device options from the list.
  6. Click Next to run the Hardware and Device Troubleshooter.
I couldn't find the 'Hardware and Device' option so I tried troubleshooting the other ones I thought might be relevant but nothing seems to be working.
ZiL3QC5.png

It looks like you found the Bluetooth Troubleshooter, but to make sure press the Windows and S keys, type trouble> click on Troubleshoot Settings> Bluetooth. BTW, I forgot to answer your question, and that is the multiple Bluetooth entries should not be there. You might try to delete them, actually delete everything under Bluetooth in the Device Manager (if they are still there) and then at the top press Actions> scan for hardware changes..

May 1, 2019
It looks like you found the Bluetooth Troubleshooter, but to make sure press the Windows and S keys, type trouble> click on Troubleshoot Settings> Bluetooth. BTW, I forgot to answer your question, and that is the multiple Bluetooth entries should not be there. You might try to delete them, actually delete everything under Bluetooth in the Device Manager (if they are still there) and then at the top press Actions> scan for hardware changes..
The troubleshooter turned bluetooth off then back on but that was it. I tried deleting everything under bluetooth in device manager but after clicking 'scan for hardware changes' they all re-appear which is weird...

I probably spoke too soon. There will be a Generic Driver for every bluetooth device you have, including audio devices, 7 might be the right amount. Go to click the notification bubble on the far left in the task bar> connect >find other types of devices and count the number of bluetooth devices showing..

You also might want to go to Control Panel> Sound and post a print screen, further do your speakers headphone have their own drivers, or do they depend on generic bluetooth drivers?

You also may want to make sure you are doing the pairing correctly.. https://helpguide.sony.net/mdr/wh1000xm3/v1/en/contents/TP0001703071.html

https://helpguide.sony.net/speaker/srs-xb31/v1/en/contents/TP0001604363.html

The end result may be you need a clean install, but even then Windows 10 continues to be questionable with bluetooth devices.

Last edited:
May 1, 2019
I probably spoke too soon. There will be a Generic Driver for every bluetooth device you have, including audio devices, 7 might be the right amount. Go to click the notification bubble on the far left in the task bar> connect >find other types of devices and count the number of bluetooth devices showing..
You also might want to go to Control Panel> Sound and post a print screen, further do your speakers headphone have their own drivers, or do they depend on generic bluetooth drivers?

I unpaired all my bluetooth devices so pretty much all those drivers seem to be from my headphones alone.

pQf3uVE.jpg

And I think they depend on generic bluetooth drivers, since I can't find any on the manufacturer's website.

May 1, 2019
Yeah, I made sure to follow those instructions too. For the speaker it says "connected voice" which is really weird considering it's a speaker not a microphone.
Anyway, I give up lol. I'm going to try contact support. Thanks for your help.

TRENDING THREADS