Can't connect to internet via Ethernet

viniwiermann

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
Hi, I live in a condo where each room has its own Ethernet wall jack(matter of fact, I have 2 in my bedroom). We don't have access to the modem/router. The problem is, whenever I connect my ethernet cable on my desktop or laptop it says identifying with a yellow triangle and then it shows unidentified networtk and I can't access the internet. I've tried all sorts of cmd options that I see online(renew/release, flush etc) but can't seem to find a solution yet. I don't get any default gateway btw. Here is the print of ipconfig on cmd. Thanks for help.

https://imgur.com/a/ByBXnsN

Who has access to the router? It looks you may be connected to switch, but it's not connected to a router (no default gateway). Consequently, there's no way to tell if the router is connected to a modem and to the internet. There's nothing to fix or change on your computer.

viniwiermann

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015

Thanks for the reply. It is kind of a "student apartments" maybe if I ask someone at the front desk that I have a problem they will do something about it then... If they grant me access or are in doubt of what to do what should I tell them ? Reset the modem, check if it is really connected or what? Thanks.

look at your lease/student handbook see if you pay for internet or you can use the collage network. if it the collage network you may have to log in and register for you to get internet.
if you have to pay for internet there may be a cox cable for input for for main line. then you connect your modem/router to the wall outlets. it may be simple look for a switch in the home see if all the wires are connected. they may have unplugged your room from the campus if the room was empty.

viniwiermann

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015

Even tho the apartments are mainly students it is not associated with the campus... I checked and we do have a high speed internet running... Idk if you ever heard but the provider is pavlov media. They have a handbook saying to register the mac address in their website but I already did that and it doesn't seem to work still...