Can't Connect to My Apparent Hidden Network (Wi-Fi)

GeoMBtheOnly1

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014
So when I try to connect to my wireless internet Windows tells me "Can't Connect to this Network".
I have also tried to troubleshoot and this tells me that the network is hidden, when other PC/Laptops in the house can connect as well as phone and multiple other devices being able to connect.
So I need to know how to reset this driver, or any other way to fix this, although I can connect, as I am now, via Ethernet.

I am currently on Windows 8.1

Other Info!
My wireless adapter is the intel centrino wireless-n 2200
Laptop Lenovo Y580
Sky router
If there is any other details you need let me know, sorry if I don't reply instantly, this laptop is my main internet access.
Thanks!

Solution

Actually, yes they would be, there are a ton of posts from people that basically know how to get to google and that's it. They buy a computer and try to conenct to any wireless signal they see show up because they don't know how...
Make sure you are connecting to the right network and not your neighbors, check the security of the router an see if it's limited by MAC addess although that is not likely.

You can try to reboot the router and also check for driver updates on the Lenovo, there may be a utility already installed on the laptop to check for updates, or get them from Lenovo support page.

GeoMBtheOnly1

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014

hahahaaa do you think I would connect to a neighbours router? a PC n00b would not even be on this site.
But anyway I got it sorted

Actually, yes they would be, there are a ton of posts from people that basically know how to get to google and that's it. They buy a computer and try to conenct to any wireless signal they see show up because they don't know how the tech works. Since many just do a web search, Tomshardware often comes up in the top results, then end up on the forums, often thinking hat this is the official website for help for any number of products like asking us to give them a refund from Verizon or AOL.

So what was the issue in your case?

Solution