Can't connect to Steam network!?

TheMBmulti

Reputable
Nov 26, 2014
Hi, I would like to know if anyone knows how to solve a problem I have with Steam at the moment. From one day to another Steam cannot connect to the Steam network. Even though I've got a normal internet connection, since I'm writing this. I just don't know what to do. I do know that there's nothing wrong with my Steam installation. Because the steam on my laptop says the same thing here, but when I go to my friends house, it works just fine.

If anyone has any idea on how to fix this, please respond. Thanks in advance! :)
(I've got a Windows 8.1 computer btw)

Update
So by resetting my winsock entries and TCP/IP I can now log in Steam when I start my computer. But whenever I try to play a game online, open the store or go to the community Steam crashes.

spdragoo

Expert
Ambassador
First, does it give any sort of error code/message that has a link to more information, or just a generic "cannot connect" message?

If not, then it sounds like something is blocking the access to Steam. It's not a firewall issue -- that would be a setting on your laptop, & would prevent you from accessing it on your friend's network -- which means either a) the port(s) that Steam uses are being blocked in your router, or b) your ISP is blocking the servers.

Unfortunately, I don't use Steam, so I'm not sure what specific settings might need to be tweaked. But it's evident that it's the connection itself, & not your PC software/hardware, that's causing the issue.

TheMBmulti

Reputable
Nov 26, 2014

Ok, I'm now a little bit further. It turned out that my network was stopping steam for some reason so I had to reset my winsock entries and TCP/IP and now I can go online on stea. However if I try to play a game online, open the store or the community tab, (the game) and steam both crash...

Sara_1

Reputable
Aug 23, 2015
I've been having the same issue with Steam, on and off, I'm not a techy, but,
to fix it:
Ctrl+SHIFT+Del, cleared all the cookies and cache, everything.
Restarted pc, when its firing up, close the steam window that opens.
Ctrl+Alt+Del, make sure nothing related to steam is still open
(steamwebhelper.exe or steam.exe)
Then either open the game from its saved location, or use the steam icon, it should prompt you to sign in.
Et voila, le connection!
Don't know where the exact error comes from, but my money is on that first window where you sign in to Steam.
Hope this helps.

TIan__

Reputable
Oct 8, 2015
is it he problem when login ??

for me i just start it up in offline mode when it's unable to connect
then at top left corner click "stream"
click go online ...
a pop up will appear click " restart and go online"
problem solve

NielsNB

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013

To prevent this you can either
1) copy the gamefolder from \Steam\steamapps\common
2) rightclick on the game in Steam and select Backup game files

//Niels

superresistant

Reputable
Feb 8, 2016
Hi,
I just came to tell how I solved this issue on my computer and I think it will help a lot people :
I opened Internet Explorer / security options / security / unchecked enable protected mode / I set security level to the minimum / connections / LAN settings / unchecked proxy server and checked Automatically detect settings / OK
Everything worked after that.

This actually solve the problem on all existing launcher like blizzard launcher or steam because (they do not tell you that !) those GUI use Internet Explorer as backend so most of problems come from it.

jaffacake7

Reputable
Feb 11, 2016
This is the solution for me. I unchecked the security box, re-tried connection and it worked straight away! I don't use internet explorer so not bothered about having it on a low setting.