Question "Can't connect to this network"

kurulay5

Honorable
Sep 17, 2018
I use a usb stick for my WiFi and all of a sudden today when I turned my pc on in the morning it simply couldn't connect to the WiFi. Nothing changed since yesterday. Was working fine last night, I turn the pc off and go to bed, wake up, turn my pc on, WiFi cant connect. I've tried for hours and hours trying to figure out and do something about this and Im so frustrated right now. Nothing I found online worked. ANYTHING to do with putting a few lines in CMD DID NOT WORK. ANYTHING to do with updating or uninstalling the drivers DO NOT WORK. Forgetting the WiFi DOES NOT WORK. Troubleshooting does utterly NOTHING. Putting the usb stick in another slot does nothing. A full network reset does nothing. Honestly I have tried so hard to find the problem and solve it but every single YouTube video I watched does not work and they'd even have 7+ solutions all of which do not work. No forums or anything I've read online works so I desperately need something new to try. I'm on windows 10. The USB stick is a "TP-Link Wireless USB Adapter". Honest to god I've put in those "netsh /reset" and whatever other lines of code into CMD and that won't work. I HAVE done a full network reset from the systems settings. Seemingly nothing is working at all. Hell sometimes my own wifi would stop even showing up in the menu. I have reset my router too literally everything to no avail. I'm probably going to get solutions which will be the same things I've tried over and over for hours today but I am desperate for help here. And yes the WiFi works on my phone or TV, just not on my pc.

Last edited by a moderator:

kanewolf

Titan
I use a usb stick for my WiFi and all of a sudden today when I turned my pc on in the morning it simply couldn't connect to the WiFi. Nothing changed since yesterday. Was working fine last night, I turn the pc off and go to bed, wake up, turn my pc on, WiFi cant connect. I've tried for hours and hours trying to figure out and do something about this and Im so frustrated right now. Nothing I found online worked. ANYTHING to do with putting a few lines in CMD DID NOT WORK. ANYTHING to do with updating or uninstalling the drivers DO NOT WORK. Forgetting the WiFi DOES NOT WORK. Troubleshooting does utterly NOTHING. Putting the usb stick in another slot does nothing. A full network reset does nothing. Honestly I have tried so hard to find the problem and solve it but every single YouTube video I watched does not work and they'd even have 7+ solutions all of which do not work. No forums or anything I've read online works so I desperately need something new to try. I'm on windows 10. The USB stick is a "TP-Link Wireless USB Adapter". Honest to god I've put in those "netsh /reset" and whatever other lines of code into CMD and that won't work. I HAVE done a full network reset from the systems settings. Seemingly nothing is working at all. Hell sometimes my own wifi would stop even showing up in the menu. I have reset my router too literally everything to no avail. I'm probably going to get solutions which will be the same things I've tried over and over for hours today but I am desperate for help here. And yes the WiFi works on my phone or TV, just not on my pc.
First, this is a family friendly board. I have remove the cursing. Let's keep it that way.

Everything you listed are changes to the PC. You never identified how the router was configured. You could have a dual band router that your phone and TV connect on 5Ghz but a 2.4 adapter for your phone. Apples to oranges comparison.
Configure your router for MAXIMUM compatibility. Manual channel selection, minimum channel width, most compatible security. Channel 1, 6, 11 for 2.4Ghz with 20Mhz channel width. Channel under 50 with 40Mhz channel width on 5Ghz. Don't hide your SSID broadcasts. No special characters in SSID name. Standard characters in the password (upper, lower, number, basic special characters). WPA2 without protected management frames (if possible). That is the maximum compatibility configuration. Moving your PC to the same room as the router for test purposes, could be beneficial.
What router do you have? Do you have any other network hardware ? What is the make and model of the USB adapter ?

kurulay5

Honorable
Sep 17, 2018
First, this is a family friendly board. I have remove the cursing. Let's keep it that way.

Everything you listed are changes to the PC. You never identified how the router was configured. You could have a dual band router that your phone and TV connect on 5Ghz but a 2.4 adapter for your phone. Apples to oranges comparison.
Configure your router for MAXIMUM compatibility. Manual channel selection, minimum channel width, most compatible security. Channel 1, 6, 11 for 2.4Ghz with 20Mhz channel width. Channel under 50 with 40Mhz channel width on 5Ghz. Don't hide your SSID broadcasts. No special characters in SSID name. Standard characters in the password (upper, lower, number, basic special characters). WPA2 without protected management frames (if possible). That is the maximum compatibility configuration. Moving your PC to the same room as the router for test purposes, could be beneficial.
What router do you have? Do you have any other network hardware ? What is the make and model of the USB adapter ?
The model of the USB is: TL-WN821N it was made by "TP-Link"
I don't know the name of it but I found an Amazon link to my router HERE
I had a company called city fibre come install this like smaller router type thing in our house so we could get city fibre internet, unfortunately they just left us in the dust and we never actually got new internet. but either way I don't actually know what it is and I'm finding it hard to figure out what it is but it's there and plugged in.
As for everything you said about the router maximum comparability I just can't comprehend what you're saying. Also apologies for the language.

kanewolf

Titan
The model of the USB is: TL-WN821N it was made by "TP-Link"
I don't know the name of it but I found an Amazon link to my router HERE
I had a company called city fibre come install this like smaller router type thing in our house so we could get city fibre internet, unfortunately they just left us in the dust and we never actually got new internet. but either way I don't actually know what it is and I'm finding it hard to figure out what it is but it's there and plugged in.
As for everything you said about the router maximum comparability I just can't comprehend what you're saying. Also apologies for the language.
All the things I mentioned are configuration changes in the WIFI admin of the router.

The simplest thing would be to try another WIFI adapter. That one is pretty old / low-end. If you want to replace it, I recommend something like this -- https://www.amazon.co.uk/BrosTrend-1200Mbps-Wireless-867Mbps-Antennas/dp/B01IEU7UZ0/ It has large antennas, and the USB extension allows you to move it from behind the case for best signal.

kurulay5

Honorable
Sep 17, 2018
All the things I mentioned are configuration changes in the WIFI admin of the router.

The simplest thing would be to try another WIFI adapter. That one is pretty old / low-end. If you want to replace it, I recommend something like this -- https://www.amazon.co.uk/BrosTrend-1200Mbps-Wireless-867Mbps-Antennas/dp/B01IEU7UZ0/ It has large antennas, and the USB extension allows you to move it from behind the case for best signal.
Hey dude.

So uh it kinda just worked by itself?
I've been playing guitar hero on my pc since I opened up this forum and made this post. I've done nothing but yknow play the game and wait for replies. Out of just curiosity I decided to try and connect to the WiFi to see if it magically fixed itself and it has!
I genuinely haven't done anything for it to work now so the problem surely has to be my low-end usb. When I get paid next I'll get myself the usb you've recommended me as I don't want this to happen again. Thanks for your time though I really do appreciate it.

kanewolf

Titan
Hey dude.

So uh it kinda just worked by itself?
I've been playing guitar hero on my pc since I opened up this forum and made this post. I've done nothing but yknow play the game and wait for replies. Out of just curiosity I decided to try and connect to the WiFi to see if it magically fixed itself and it has!
I genuinely haven't done anything for it to work now so the problem surely has to be my low-end usb. When I get paid next I'll get myself the usb you've recommended me as I don't want this to happen again. Thanks for your time though I really do appreciate it.
It might have "fixed itself" because the automatic channel selection in the router changed the WIFI channel in the 2.4Ghz. If the router allows channel 13 but your WIFI adapter doesn't then it could magically fail again. This is why I suggested MANUALLY setting the channel parameters. Automatic channel selection can cause problems like that when the router allows (chooses) options that the client doesn't support.

kurulay5

Honorable
Sep 17, 2018
It might have "fixed itself" because the automatic channel selection in the router changed the WIFI channel in the 2.4Ghz. If the router allows channel 13 but your WIFI adapter doesn't then it could magically fail again. This is why I suggested MANUALLY setting the channel parameters. Automatic channel selection can cause problems like that when the router allows (chooses) options that the client doesn't support.
I know it's been a very *very* long time but I have came back here today to say thank you and sorry. I have encountered this issue again and first time I had this when I made this post I had no clue what you where talking about however, after learning a few bits here and there I finally understand what you mean. So thank you, you have solved my issue even months after. My ISP admin page had the channels set to automatic as you mentioned and manually setting the channel to channel 6 has solved my issue again as you mentioned to do. So thank you and sorry for my misunderstanding and foolishness, I understand now and I thank you.

TRENDING THREADS