[SOLVED] Can't connect with IP Address in browser

56Loaches

Prominent
Oct 21, 2019
What might be some common reasons I get : "This site can’t be reached. (IP ADDRESS) refused to connect."?

Solution
It is strange it would use any name at all. The web browser only makes you "think" it is using names. It actually takes the string and looks the ip address up in a DNS. After it gets the ip it open a connection using the IP address. Now it does pass some of the name stuff inside the HTTP headers but generally you get a different error if the server has a issue. There are some sites that share a IP address between multiple web sites and you connect just using the IP it does not know which you want to talk to. Still the connection will always connect you mostly get 404 not found errors.

Try to ping the ip of the camera and see if it responds....then again cameras are strange and may not respond to ping.

Even if it does...

56Loaches

Prominent
Oct 21, 2019
It's too long a story to recount because I'm just not savvy enough to know what's important to tell you and what's not. The problem begins with two wifi cameras I own. They are both supposed to talk to the router through their IP addresses. One works. The other doesn't. I have to connect it through a UID#, independent of an IP Address. My router tells me there are 6 devices connected to it and 5 make sense, but the 6th SHOULD be the 2nd camera and the router has assigned it an IP address, but not the name I gave it through the UID connection protocol in the camera management software. I can not use that address for any purpose, even within the camera mangement software I'm using.
I've been at this for 2 days. One suggestion was to restart the DNS Client through services.msi, but all the commands (under properties) are greyed out.
Anything I try to do through a command prompt results in a "Media Disconnected" prompt.

As I said, I have no idea if any of this info is pertinence to the problem...it is just where my pursuit has led me...

It is strange it would use any name at all. The web browser only makes you "think" it is using names. It actually takes the string and looks the ip address up in a DNS. After it gets the ip it open a connection using the IP address. Now it does pass some of the name stuff inside the HTTP headers but generally you get a different error if the server has a issue. There are some sites that share a IP address between multiple web sites and you connect just using the IP it does not know which you want to talk to. Still the connection will always connect you mostly get 404 not found errors.

Try to ping the ip of the camera and see if it responds....then again cameras are strange and may not respond to ping.

Even if it does not ping you should get a ip/mac table mapping in your ARP table. You should be able to do a ARP -a. If you see the ip and the mac of the camera you know it had to talk to you since that is the only way the pc would know this information.

Solution