Can't create new user in Windows 10

NoMetalJacket

Reputable
Jul 30, 2015
When I go to Start>Settings>Accounts>Family & Other Users>Add someone else on this PC, nothing happens. It is the same occurrence detailed in my thread on being unable to sign in with a Microsoft account after making a local account (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2743094/sign-microsoft-account-windows.html?xtor=EPR-8809#16365199). I believe the two problems are connected. Would this mean there was a problem with the Windows 10 download/installation? If unlikely, please leave other suggestions. Thank you!

Slashgeek

Admirable
Fire up an elevated command prompt by typing "cmd" in Start, right clicking on "Command Prompt" and selecting Run as Administrator. Enter the following command:

net user <desired account name> <desired account password> /add

For example, to create the account "John" with the password "7565" the complete command would be

net user John 7565 /add

After this, type in the command:

net localgroup administrators <created username> /add

These steps should create a new admin user. See if this works for you.

stacychuck

Reputable
Sep 30, 2015

stacychuck

Reputable
Sep 30, 2015
This solution worked for me. I added a user and Windows 10 recognized it and seem to work correctly for that new user. I will add share persmissions to the new account from my existing one so I can see and use files, picutres and videos

Thanks. I will check here for solutions in the future to Windows 10 issues.

Slashgeek

Admirable

Glad to have been of service. If you can, please select "Pick as the solution" next to the answer you believe helped you out the most.

stacychuck

Reputable
Sep 30, 2015

stacychuck

Reputable
Sep 30, 2015

Love to but I don't see "pick as" on this iPod. When I get to the PC I'll try.

stacychuck

Reputable
Sep 30, 2015
In voting I did not do it correctly. User: Slashgeek said: what to do. I voted down the first time. That was wrong. His solution worked. Now that I know how this works next time I hope to vote correctly.

jlederer

Reputable
Oct 15, 2015
Your can't create a user account if the Edge is disable ... Microsoft is looking for internet access to create your online user account.

Under Administrator, are you getting the following message opening the Edge?

Microsoft Edge can’t be opened using the Built-in Administrator account. Sign in with a different account and try again.

If so, open your local security policy. Press the Windows button and r,(for Run) type in 'secpol.msc', navigate down to \Local Policies\Security Option and then 'User Account Control Admin Approval Mode for the Built-in Administrator account' Set policy to Enabled.

The Edge should now work with the Administrator policy.

Your inability to create a user should now be fixed.

Also, you should now be able to set your weather settings.

Hope this helps