CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i
Motherboard: Asus Z97I-PLUS Mini ITX
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866
Storage: Crucial BX100 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" x2
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB 100 Million Edition
Case: Corsair 380T Mini ITX
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 650W

Where I'm at I have a limited selection of parts, and the Asus I was originally going for is apparently out of stock for a few days so i've been offered the MSI for the same price, I can go with that or wait for the Asus.

I intend to overclock the 970 (I would have gone with 980 but it's extremely overpriced here) and also the CPU most likely.
And I want to use the M.2 port for the SSD
I'll also see if I can get a better PSU like XFX or seasonic but I doubt it.

It's my first build and I'm not too experienced but I've tried to research as much as possible.

Edit: Forgot to add that Wi-Fi will not be used at all or any wireless connectivity for that matter.
Edit 2: Would the Asus Maximus VII Impact be overkill? And what about the audio quality of the Z97I-PLUS?

_creature

Reputable
May 28, 2015

Hmm interesting, I think I did hear that Asus was more reliable.

eatmypie

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
I've had msi boards in the past they look cool and have similar specs to other boards for a lesser price, but I've had issues with them before also. Like I bought one last gen for this Kind of console PC for my TV, the thing worked great for a year and a half and then the little LED light for the audio thing literately exploded and caused the whole board to short out. Then before everyone started to use the solid caps I always had caps on the msi boards leak or bulge within a year. or they just did a careless job soldering which caused a failure. I would just get rid of the black drive since it doesn't perform any different than the blue to save some extra money then add the little extra money towards something that is in stock from gigabyte or ASUS mid end.

_creature

Reputable
May 28, 2015

Wow, that uh . . . doesn't sound good. Well I'm definitely leaning towards the Asus.

Hi again - However, plz check (Newegg) user reviews on any board you consider. Yes, take most of
them with a grain of salt, but look for recurring complaints and how often Asus tech responds to
legit complaints. Sometimes what seems to be serious issues gets resolved with a BIOS (UEFI)
update, other times the board in general appears to have been rushed to market to soon.

_creature

Reputable
May 28, 2015

Alright will do, thanks for the advice. Also if I may ask - I see you're experienced with PSUs? What do you think about that corsair? I know it's not the best but there was a very limited selection for me to choose from. Do you think it would be fine with that build?

Hi - That CSM 650 is more than enough for your system. It's not an ideal PSU for heavy gaming, but it's a
step up from the VS & CX series, and since you have more power than you need, and limited
options from which to choose, you should be fine.

My personal take is; that even tho it might last a few years it is below the level of the other components
in your system. A Corsair HX or AX series would be more apropo with your system. So, maybe start saving
to upgrade down the line.