Can't download Windows 7 Home ISO file on a USB?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
It only gives me the options to burn the disk, and I can't find an option to install it to a USB drive.

What am I doing wrong?

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
yup, I tried the m'soft tool, when it finishes with the flash drive it explicitly tells me that it did not make it bootable, and I tried resetting the boot order and everything on the other computer.

The info page about the tool also says that you can't make it bootable on a 32 bit version of windows if you're trying to put a 64 bit windows on the flash drive when you're using a 32 bit version of windows, which I unfortunately am in the position of doing =\. And the solution windows provided for it is something I can't do, to top it off.

Disk drive looking like the only viable option. Can I assume the machine you're installing Windows to is too small for a drive? If you have a machine with a drive, be it laptop or PC you can obtain adapter leads to use as an external via USB...

I used vista 32 bit to make the bootable flash drive of w7 64 bit. As I said, all I did was format it to ntfs and unpack the iso to it using winrar. It is important to unpack it as it will not work in iso form on the flash drive. There should already be a boot folder with bootsect.exe in it when it is unpacked.

netwalker0099

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
Just mount the ISO in the virtual CD rom and copy the contents of the drive over to the flash drive. Or get something like 7zip (7zip.org) and right click extract the ISO to a folder then copy the contents to the flash drive.

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
Ok so I went on 7 zip.org and I'm not sure which version to install, do the two versions differ based on my current operating system (32 bit) or the operating system I'm going to be compressing and then installing (64 bit)

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
Ok, I downloaded YUMI and am about to start :). Just a quick question, I picked the flash drive, ISO, and file distribution, but I didn't slect format or clean. Should the flash drive be empty and formatted to NTFS prior? Or any other format?

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
WOOOOOOOO!

Thanks so much for this, every single person on this thread! :D You're all amazing, and I might feel completely retarded but I'm glad that there's awesome people here that could help me with this, I would've been completely lost otherwise!

Thanks you so much again for recommending YUMI!

Time to enjoy my new build XD!

Status
Not open for further replies.