Can't Extend Volume of C drive

chirps12

Prominent
Nov 21, 2017
Hi,

I'm currently on windows 8.1, and my C: Drive (150gb) is now pretty much full. I have a D: Drive with 750 GB available which I don't use but is on the same basic drive, (no idea why it was configured like that initially) and so I shrunk the volume of the D Drive to 500 GB which left 250 GB unallocated. Now when I click on the C: Drive to extend the volume, the option is greyed out although there is plenty of space unallocated. Any help would be appreciated. Or is it best to not tamper with the C and D drives? I just want storage that i can use

Solution

Right.
You can't extend the C into that 564.38GB space because the D partition is in the way.
To extend, the two partitions need to be next to each other.

Merge the D partition back into that currently Unallocated space.

But...
That is not really necessary. You just have to learn how to use that large D partition.
It was set up that way for the OS and applications to be in the C partition, and your personal data in the D partition.

And your data takes up the majority of the consumed space on the C.
The OS and applications (what OS is this?) might consume 50-80GB. All your personal junk is...

USAFRet

Titan

"Or is it best to not tamper with the C and D drives?"
Mostly, this.

Are these two physical drives?
Can you show us a screencap of your current Disk Management window?
What consumes the space on your C drive?
There are easy methods to use the full space on both drives.

chirps12

Prominent
Nov 21, 2017

Thanks for the reply. It is one drive just 2 partitions. I also cant figure out how to add an attachments ( the screenshot) . Windows and all my files are on my C drive.

USAFRet

Titan

Right.
You can't extend the C into that 564.38GB space because the D partition is in the way.
To extend, the two partitions need to be next to each other.

Merge the D partition back into that currently Unallocated space.

But...
That is not really necessary. You just have to learn how to use that large D partition.
It was set up that way for the OS and applications to be in the C partition, and your personal data in the D partition.

And your data takes up the majority of the consumed space on the C.
The OS and applications (what OS is this?) might consume 50-80GB. All your personal junk is sucking up the rest of the space.
Games, movies, etc.

For your personal files, you can redirect where those Libraries save things:
Win 7 & 8: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1834397/ssd-redirecting-static-files.html
Win 8.1 & 10: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2024314/windows-redirecting-folders-drives.html

For Steam games, this:
Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

To move an already installed game
Games library
Right click the game
Properties
Local Files
Move Install Folder

Solution

chirps12

Prominent
Nov 21, 2017

This is windows 8.1. Thanks for clarifying where I should put my personal datas and applications, that clears up alot. Just wondering , is this d drive supposed to be used for recovery so will there be consequences for using it like a normal drive? It is probably games taking up most of the space, although they arent steam games. Can you elaborate a bit more on how to safely switch these games so updates automatically go to the d drive instead then?

chirps12

Prominent
Nov 21, 2017
This is windows 8.1. Thanks for clarifying where I should put my personal datas and applications, that clears up alot. Just wondering , is this d drive supposed to be used for recovery so will there be consequences for using it like a normal drive? It is probably games taking up most of the space, although they arent steam games. Can you elaborate a bit more on how to safely switch these games so updates automatically go to the d drive instead then?

USAFRet

Titan
That 750ishGB D partition is NOT for recovery. You have the 17.641GB partition for the Factory Recovery.

As labeled, that D partition is for your Data. Games, music, movies, etc.

With the above steps, Steam games will install to that D, or can be moved to the D.
Any updates will happen on where it is installed...the D partition.
Some data WILL go in the C partition, but that will be small and not to be concerned about.

For you other games, those might need to actually be reinstalled.
During the install of just about any game or application, you can tell it which drive and location to install to.
Most people just accept the defaults, click click click...And of course that ends up on the C drive.
Rapidly resulting in not enough space.

chirps12

Prominent
Nov 21, 2017

Thank you. I thought that 750gb was way more than what would be needed for recovery. Just wondering though why the one factory recovery petition doesn't come up in file explorer and only disk management? Im guessing so it isnt tampered with but I never knew that existed until today but im not sure... Also My D drive says theres 3GB already being used, but when I click on it I see nothing. Im probably also gonna have to start reinstalling everything like you said.

chirps12

Prominent
Nov 21, 2017

Is there a way i can check where my documents and videos are saved too? Im having trouble figuring out what to mvoe when I open C drive because theres so many large files. For example it doesnt say where the "folders" part of file explorer are saved too. Etc. My documents , vvideos, music , movies etc.

USAFRet

Titan

If you've not changed them manually, they live on your C drive.
That is the default.

chirps12

Prominent
Nov 21, 2017

Can you help explain to me again which files should go where (so games, music and personal data to D, keep applications on C but like what count as applications, discord, ccleaner etc also where to find these files?) and is there an easier way to do this as im not really sure which ones to move to D and which ones arent meant to stay on C.
Also, I just wanted to say thank you for all this help. Im so grateful and you've helped so much and made this so much more clear and easy for me. Sorry for all these questions too lol I'm not super experienced but Thank. You.

USAFRet

Titan
OS and applications - on the C drive
Your personal files....they can go on the D drive.

Anything you 'install' is an application'
Anything you create or save is a 'file'. Doc/music/video/etc.

MS Word is an application.
MyResume.docx is a file.

For instance, on my system:
5 physical drives, each with their own dedicated use (mostly)

1. OS and applications.
2. photo work
3. CAD/video/3D work
4. Games, doc/music/video
5. scratch space for all of the above.

Applications can use data (files) that live on any drive.
I use Adobe Lightroom almost daily. The application lives on the C drive, #1 above.
All my actual photos live on drive #2 above.
The Lightroom cache and catalog live on drive #5 above.

The OS and applications have gotten really good at being able to know about data that lives elsewhere.
Other drives or partitions.

chirps12

Prominent
Nov 21, 2017

Ok il get started moving them. Il let you know if i need any help. Thanks for everything again, you're a life saver

USAFRet

Titan
They don't even need to live in your "Libraries".

Doubleclick on a .docx file, anywhere in the system, and it open in MS Word. (assuming you us MS Word)
You can associate extensions with a specific application.
Does not matter where the files actually are...they open with whatever application you designate.

chirps12

Prominent
Nov 21, 2017

So it doesnt matter that much if i make a mess out of the files where some documents are in d some in c as long as they are not deleted?

USAFRet

Titan

Exactly.
I use Excel a lot. I have Excel files (.xls) in almost every drive, to include the Linux based NAS box on the other side of the room, that is accessed via a mapped drive letter of "N".
Doubleclick....Excel opens with that file.

Just as you more or less know where they are...anywhere works.

A top level folder on the D partition..."MyDocs".