Can't figure out 18 second boot delay w/ external USB drive

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

flaxseedoil1000

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011
Greetings,

The drive is a Fantom Drives 2TB USB 3.0. Internally it's a Samsung HD204UI.

Here is what happens:

PC off, drive off. Turn drive on, boot pc, no delay, drive works fine.

Now if I leave the drive on and reboot or cold boot, there will be an 18 second delay every time until the drive has the power cycled.

The delay is ONLY after the first boot after the drive has had the power cycled.

What I don't get it why there's no delay the first time. I can understand it having to load a USB 3.0 driver, but why the heck doesn't it do it the first time then?

This drive does not power off automatically with the pc like my old WD which is probably why I never saw this issue with the WD.

Any ideas?

--
CPU maker: intel
CPU: Core i5 2500K
Motherboard: MSI Z68 GD65 (B3)
Graphics Card: Integrated
Memory: 16 GB Ripjaws X 1600
Hard Drive: 1x Intel 320 120 GB, 2x WD Green 1 TB RAID 1
External Drive: Fantom Drives 2TB USB 3.0 (Samsung HD204UI)
Optical Drive: External
Power Supply: Seasonic 560w
Display: HP ZR22W
Case: Fractal Arc Midi
Sound Card: Integrated
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64

flaxseedoil1000

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011

Not a critter issue. The Onkyo 674 started having handshake issues until it warmed up a couple of years ago, so I have just left it on ever since. Ran so hot it probably cooked something. Audio still works so it's going in the barn.

flaxseedoil1000

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011

I did try in on an XP machine. Acted a bit differently, but the driver on that machine is from 2001 so I don't think it was a good comparison. That machine boots so slow I would probably never notice the difference, lol.

I have 3 WD Caviar Greens internal which constantly park their heads, I never notice a delay with them.

It's definitely spinning down, then has to spin back up. I don't think that is the problem. The problem is it acts like it's searching the entire 2TB's for something, that's the delay. Yet it does not do it on the first boot.

flaxseedoil1000

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011
Just found something in the logs.

These drivers are causing Windows to standby or hibernate slowly

Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver - x64

isStor.sys

Time taken: 14 seconds

Hmmmmm, that 14 seconds is close to the 18 second delay I am seeing.

May have to copy everything off the RAID, kill the raid in the BIOS and see what happens.

flaxseedoil1000

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011
All I have is an XP machine, driver is from 2001, it boot so slow it's hard to tell.

BTW

Changed mode in BIOS from AHCI back to RAID and my array came back, no need to rebuild. Nice.

I think at this point I am going to wipe the SSD, reinstall Win 7, then see what happens.

flaxseedoil1000

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011
Unplugged the SSD with Win 7 on it, installed Win 7 on formatted HDD.

Had to install Renesas USB 3.0 driver.

Reboot, same issue.

Disabled power management functions in Renesas Host Controller, same issue.

Out of ideas, guess I will have to use the work around of powering the drive off when I shutdown.

Thx for the company :)