Cant Figure this out.. PC Hardware Question. Please help a newbie out.

clistnepa

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015
Long term reader, few time poster here.

Here are my specs.

ASUS ROG Strix-F X470 Motherboard
Ryzen 5 2600X @4.2GHZ all core 1.39V (Fractal S36 360MM AIO Cooling) (Stays very cold)
16GB DDR4 3200 B-Die G.skill
500GB Samsung 960 EVO m2 ssd
6GB RTX 2060 using latest drivers as of 2-1-19
Corsair RM850X Gold PSU
QNIX QX2710 27" 2560x1440 (Overclocked refresh at 98HZ)

My issue seems to be the FPS that I am getting. I play only a few games, so maybe its just the titles that I am playing. I am not sure. I am basically having terrible FPS spikes. In WoW, I can get 100+FPS then just running around the towns it can drop to 50. Then spike back up to 90+. I know online mmorpg games can have latency issues or whatnot, but that's a drastic swing and pulling me out of the experience. I messed with in game settings and even turned VSYNC on, but for the most part its all about the same.

I then tried another game, car mechanic simulator 2018. Just to see if it would do that on an offline style game. It can be playing smooth, than randomly it just jutters down and almost catches back up, though not as noticeable as in WoW.

I had a GTX 1060 6GB Card before this one and also a b450 auros motherboard, which I sold to a friend then decided to go for the asus strix x470 and rtx 2060, and it seemed to be doing it with that old video card and motherboard.

My questions would be, Can it be the monitor? Maybe pushing 1440p with that card might be messing something up? I can return the card and maybe go for a 2080 instead? Or maybe the CPU is bottlenecking it? I can also return the board and cpu and look into 9900K even?

I try to set the monitor to 1080P but for some reason it won't scale properly and the games look terrible. I mean, very ugly, and scaled wrong. Should I look into a Gsync monitor? Should I downgrade to a 1080P monitor and maybe get a 144hz gsync one instead? I like the productivity side of using 1440p for more real estate but this juttering in games and dropped fps is really making me upset.

Or can it be the hard drive? It says in samsung magician that it has the latest firmware and in good shape. I have had it about a year now and never had an issue. All running on a clean install of the latest build windows 10 pro. I even thought it was a software issue. So did a full redo on it with all the latest drivers.

Sorry for such a long post, but I am pulling hair out here. I feel like I am at a loss. The card as well as CPU are not overheating at all either. Not even close to any sort of max temps on either case..

Please help!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
WoW is still very CPU dependent, in the towns there is a LOT of data to process to render all the players, so don't use that as a good FPS meter. Random pauses on the most powerful systems still happen.

Certainly overclocking the monitor can have unexpected results. Try taking it down to 90Hz for a while and see how that goes.

RTX2060 is borderline fast enough for your recent AAA titles at 1440p. You can always tweak a few detail settings to get better performance. You can look at it this way, you traded FPS for resolution. Higher resolution gets you better detail, so you can afford to turn down detail settings without a huge loss in image quality. Think AA or shadow detail. (Though it WoW you should be able to leave it maxed out)

It could be that your CPU overclock isn't 100% stable either. Though I have no direct experience with Ryzen. I know some games react poorly to overclocked CPUs while others will be just fine. I know one popular test a while ago was actually Witcher III. A lot of overclocks failed to run that game but pretty much everything else would run.

clistnepa

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015
Sweet. I will lower the monnitor refresh and take it back to stock and see what happens. I keep thinking maybe a gsync monitor might also smooth out some stuff, lol. Idk.