Question Can't find CMOS battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Peejay

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2015
Hi!

Yesterday my laptop suddenly refused to boot. The last time I turned on my laptop, it was running some kind of diagnostic in the BIOS. Because the battery was drained after a long day, the laptop powered off during the process.

After recharging the battery, the laptop refused to boot. The power light would light up, the CPU-fan would start spinning, but my screen remained black.

I suspect that something is wrong with the BIOS. I tried to reset my laptop by holding down the power button for 30 seconds, 1 minute. No effect. I tried to remove the built in battery and restart the laptop afterwards, still no effect.

I went looking for the CMOS battery, but I can't seem to find it anywhere on the motherboard of my laptop. I took it apart and even went looking on the other side of the motherboard, but no CMOS battery there. I also didn't find a CMOS jumper.

I looked online for manuals or tutorials, but can't find any relevant documentation on my specific laptop.

I have no idea what I can do next to try and hard-reset my laptop.

This is the model number of my laptop:
- Asus ZenBook U310UA-FC369T

Any suggestions?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I couldn't locate a service manual, sadly.

I've looked at a few ASUS models in the lineup. Usual suspects are under the main system battery, might be a little pull tab thing. Or next to the WiFi module.

On other laptops I have seen them shoved into a corner of the bezel with wires going to a connector on the board somewhere. If you see any connector with only two pins, it is likely to be the BIOS battery.

I skimmed through a few tear down videos, but no one mentioned its location. These days they aren't always the standard CR2032 sized watch cell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS