Question Can't find usb port on motherboard

Jammalam

Commendable
Oct 19, 2019
I have a lenovo v530 and I'm trying to install a network card but can't locate the USB port to plug the card into. It's sitting comfortably in the pcie slot and I've looked all over the motherboard for the word USB or anything the plug would fit Nd I'm starting to think there is no spare USB port on this motherboard. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Jammalam

Commendable
Oct 19, 2019
That's the exact connector I've been looking for, the closest thing I can find is a com2 port but that has too many pins.

I'll post photos of my mobo but yeah I'm thinking this wifi card is incompatible

Pics a bit fuzzy but I did not see a USB header.
Another option would be to purchase a cable to connect the USB 2.0 at back of computer to whatever end is at network card and run cable into case.
Now let me ask a question, I've used wifi usb adapters and pcie network cards but I dont understand one with both unless the network card has a USB slot next to the network cable socket.

Reactions: Jammalam

Jammalam

Commendable
Oct 19, 2019
Thanks for responding, I'm a total amateur so can't really answer your question - are you saying it's unusual to have a separate USB connection on a WiFi card?

I've been recommended the Gigabyte GC-WB1733D-I apparently it has an internal USB controller? Would this solve my problem? I've asked Gigabyte themselves but I'm not expecting an answer for a couple weeks.

Thanks again for helping

Jun 10, 2019
It looks like your build is kinda outdated, have you considered upgrading? ..... On to the question: Personally I've never seen a a network card need a connection to a USB header. It gets everything it needs from the PCIe slot its in. Unless like Mtop said, it has additional USB inputs on the card. In which case it would only need to be connected in order to use said inputs.