Can't find 'whistling' sound

Hi,

I'm building a new PC, with an Abit VA-20 motherboard and a Sempron
2200+ with a stock AMD heatsink/fan. In addition, I have 512MB of
memory, a Seagate 120GB drive, a Samsung DVD burner, and a PCI modem
card.

The case is a Supercases PC-132, similar to:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-154-018&depa=0

but has an Austin 300W power supply, as shown here:

http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/11-154-044-08.JPG

The problem that I'm having is that after running awhile, I can hear a
high-pitched "whistling" sound. I've been trying to diagnose this
problem for awhile, and finding it has been driving me crazy. The
kicker, which is making this really difficult to find, is that it always
seems that shortly after I remove the case covers, the sound disappears.

Here're are some of the things that I've tried:

1) From what I can tell, it is not coming out of the back of the power
supply (i.e., the fan outlet). I'm pretty sure about this, as when the
sound occurs, I can place my ear there, and I don't hear the sound.

2) I'm almost 100% sure it's not the CPU fan. I've actually unplugged
the CPU fan power (VERY briefly) while the system was running and while
the sound was occurring, and the whistling sound continued.

3) I also tried a couple of times to start and run the system with the
harddrive and DVD burner disconnected from power, but that didn't help
because then the sound never occurred. I haven't tried disconnecting
the power to the hard drive and DVD burner while the sound was
occurring.

4) I've tightened all the screws that I can find, e.g., power supply to
case, drives, motherboard to case, CPU fan to heatsink, etc.

5) I've tied up all the cables inside so that they're not contacting any
part of the case or motherboard, and are all away from the CPU heatsink
and fan.

6) This motherboard has a small onboard piezo-electric buzzer (for POST
beeps). I've tried covering that up while the sound is occurring, and
there was no change.

7) I've tried covering the small piezo-electric buzzer on the modem card
up while the sound is occurring, and there was no change.

8) I've tried pushing down on the two toroidal coils on the motherboard
while the sound was occurring, and there was no change.

Typically, I'll have the covers on, and then I'll start hearing the
whistling sound. I pull the covers off very carefully, and the sound is
still there, then while I'm trying to figure out where it's coming from,
the sound will stop.

Does anyone have any other ideas about what might be causing this, or
how I might go about figuring out what's causing the sound?

Thanks in advance,
Jim

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

ohaya wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm building a new PC, with an Abit VA-20 motherboard and a Sempron
> 2200+ with a stock AMD heatsink/fan. In addition, I have 512MB of
> memory, a Seagate 120GB drive, a Samsung DVD burner, and a PCI modem
> card.
>
> The case is a Supercases PC-132, similar to:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-154-018&depa=0
>
> but has an Austin 300W power supply, as shown here:
>
> http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/11-154-044-08.JPG
>
> The problem that I'm having is that after running awhile, I can hear a
> high-pitched "whistling" sound. I've been trying to diagnose this
> problem for awhile, and finding it has been driving me crazy. The
> kicker, which is making this really difficult to find, is that it always
> seems that shortly after I remove the case covers, the sound disappears.
>
> Here're are some of the things that I've tried:
>
> 1) From what I can tell, it is not coming out of the back of the power
> supply (i.e., the fan outlet). I'm pretty sure about this, as when the
> sound occurs, I can place my ear there, and I don't hear the sound.
>
> 2) I'm almost 100% sure it's not the CPU fan. I've actually unplugged
> the CPU fan power (VERY briefly) while the system was running and while
> the sound was occurring, and the whistling sound continued.
>
> 3) I also tried a couple of times to start and run the system with the
> harddrive and DVD burner disconnected from power, but that didn't help
> because then the sound never occurred. I haven't tried disconnecting
> the power to the hard drive and DVD burner while the sound was
> occurring.

This is what I would do. You have an oscillator circuit (PWM) in the
PS that varies in frequency due to changes in the load. Also, there is
probably an oscillator on the MB that is used to control (regulate) the
core voltage for the processor. You could have one of these singing.

Isn't a 300W power supply a little low for this system? I don't know,
I am just asking.

> 4) I've tightened all the screws that I can find, e.g., power supply to
> case, drives, motherboard to case, CPU fan to heatsink, etc.
>
> 5) I've tied up all the cables inside so that they're not contacting any
> part of the case or motherboard, and are all away from the CPU heatsink
> and fan.
>
> 6) This motherboard has a small onboard piezo-electric buzzer (for POST
> beeps). I've tried covering that up while the sound is occurring, and
> there was no change.
>
> 7) I've tried covering the small piezo-electric buzzer on the modem card
> up while the sound is occurring, and there was no change.
>
> 8) I've tried pushing down on the two toroidal coils on the motherboard
> while the sound was occurring, and there was no change.
>

> Typically, I'll have the covers on, and then I'll start hearing the
> whistling sound. I pull the covers off very carefully, and the sound is
> still there, then while I'm trying to figure out where it's coming from,
> the sound will stop.
>

> Does anyone have any other ideas about what might be causing this, or
> how I might go about figuring out what's causing the sound?
>

> Thanks in advance,
> Jim

> This is what I would do. You have an oscillator circuit (PWM) in the
> PS that varies in frequency due to changes in the load. Also, there is
> probably an oscillator on the MB that is used to control (regulate) the
> core voltage for the processor. You could have one of these singing.
>
> Isn't a 300W power supply a little low for this system? I don't know,
> I am just asking.

Ken,

Thanks for replying.

You started your 1st paragraph with "This is what I would do.", but then
you didn't say what you would do.

But, in any event, that (the possibility of something on the motherboard
"singing") was why I tried to manipulate/touch/move the toroids on the
motherboard while the sound was occurring, and as I mentioned in my
original post, that didn't change the sound.

Re. the possibility of the "singing" coming from an oscillator in the
power supply, I just looked at the machine again during a period where
the sound was occurring, and I'm pretty sure that the sound is not
coming from the power supply.

BTW, I know that no one would recommend it, but since I had the sound
this time, I pulled the power connectors for both the DVD burner and the
harddrive while the sound was there, and that didn't change the sound.

So now, I'm really puzzled.

I think that I've eliminated all of the obvious "mechanical/moving"
possibilities (the CPU fan, the harddrive, and the DVD burner), and I'm
pretty sure that it's not coming from the power supply, and I don't
think it's the either of the two piezo buzzers (on the motherboard and
on the modem board).

Where else could this sound be coming from?

Also, this morning, after the last occurrence of the sound, I've been
running the system now for over an hour, and I don't hear the sound, so
I'm starting to convince myself that it only occurs after the covers are
put back on.

But, as I mentioned, the sound doesn't seem to occur immediately after I
put the covers on, and it doesn't seem to disappear immediately after I
remove the covers.

Any ideas about what could be happening?

I'm starting to think that maybe it's either:

1) Something going on with the "aerodynamics" inside the case after the
covers are put back on, i.e., maybe when the covers get put back on,
some kind of vacuum-like condition or turbulence is happening inside,
causing the whistling sound. But, this wouldn't explain why the sound
doesn't disappear IMMEDIATELY after I remove the covers.

2) Something going on with the temperature inside the case, i.e., maybe
when the covers get put back on, SOMETHING is getting warmer and then
starts the "singing".

This latter one seems like the most possible, since it kind of would
explain the sound not disappearing immediately after the cover removal
(i.e., it might take a few minutes for temperature inside the case to
drop enough for the singing component/circuit to stop singing), and the
sound not appearing immediately after the covers are put back on (i.e.,
it might take a few minutes for temperature inside the case to rise
enough for the singing component/circuit to start singing). This would
also explain why the sound doesn't occur when the covers are left off
(i.e., the temperature inside the case stays lower, so the singing
component/circuit doesn't sing).

Any thoughts on how I might "prove" this, and also, if this is the case,
how I might prevent/eliminate the sound??

Jim

Ken wrote:

> This is what I would do. You have an oscillator circuit (PWM) in the
> PS that varies in frequency due to changes in the load.

Not really. Most all PWM PSUs change *pulse width* due to changes in
load. Few (if any) PC PSUs change frequency.

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

ohaya wrote:
>> This is what I would do. You have an oscillator circuit (PWM) in the
>>PS that varies in frequency due to changes in the load. Also, there is
>>probably an oscillator on the MB that is used to control (regulate) the
>>core voltage for the processor. You could have one of these singing.
>>
>> Isn't a 300W power supply a little low for this system? I don't know,
>>I am just asking.
>

> Ken,
>
> Thanks for replying.
>
> You started your 1st paragraph with "This is what I would do.", but then
> you didn't say what you would do.
Jim,

What I meant was the your previous comment above where I inserted my
comment. In other words: Try disconnecting
the power to the hard drive and DVD burner while the sound was
occurring. If nothing changes, that should eliminate those units.

> But, in any event, that (the possibility of something on the motherboard
> "singing") was why I tried to manipulate/touch/move the toroids on the
> motherboard while the sound was occurring, and as I mentioned in my
> original post, that didn't change the sound.
>
> Re. the possibility of the "singing" coming from an oscillator in the
> power supply, I just looked at the machine again during a period where
> the sound was occurring, and I'm pretty sure that the sound is not
> coming from the power supply.

It is sometimes hard to pinpoint such a sound. There are transformers
that sometimes create this type of sound due to loose windings on the
metal core. The easiest way would be to sub a PS rather than trouble
shoot the PS. Especially since you might have a PS at the low end of
the systems needs.

> BTW, I know that no one would recommend it, but since I had the sound
> this time, I pulled the power connectors for both the DVD burner and the
> harddrive while the sound was there, and that didn't change the sound.
>
> So now, I'm really puzzled.
>
> I think that I've eliminated all of the obvious "mechanical/moving"
> possibilities (the CPU fan, the harddrive, and the DVD burner), and I'm
> pretty sure that it's not coming from the power supply, and I don't
> think it's the either of the two piezo buzzers (on the motherboard and
> on the modem board).
>
> Where else could this sound be coming from?
>
> Also, this morning, after the last occurrence of the sound, I've been
> running the system now for over an hour, and I don't hear the sound, so
> I'm starting to convince myself that it only occurs after the covers are
> put back on.
>
> But, as I mentioned, the sound doesn't seem to occur immediately after I
> put the covers on, and it doesn't seem to disappear immediately after I
> remove the covers.

It is hard to imagine that the cover is doing anything other than
causing the temperature to increase. I guess it could cause a noise due
to air passing through the vents, but at such a low speed that is hard
to imagine.

> Any ideas about what could be happening?
>
> I'm starting to think that maybe it's either:
>
> 1) Something going on with the "aerodynamics" inside the case after the
> covers are put back on, i.e., maybe when the covers get put back on,
> some kind of vacuum-like condition or turbulence is happening inside,
> causing the whistling sound. But, this wouldn't explain why the sound
> doesn't disappear IMMEDIATELY after I remove the covers.

I agree with the above.

> 2) Something going on with the temperature inside the case, i.e., maybe
> when the covers get put back on, SOMETHING is getting warmer and then
> starts the "singing".
>
> This latter one seems like the most possible, since it kind of would
> explain the sound not disappearing immediately after the cover removal
> (i.e., it might take a few minutes for temperature inside the case to
> drop enough for the singing component/circuit to stop singing), and the
> sound not appearing immediately after the covers are put back on (i.e.,
> it might take a few minutes for temperature inside the case to rise
> enough for the singing component/circuit to start singing). This would
> also explain why the sound doesn't occur when the covers are left off
> (i.e., the temperature inside the case stays lower, so the singing
> component/circuit doesn't sing).
>
> Any thoughts on how I might "prove" this, and also, if this is the case,
> how I might prevent/eliminate the sound??
>
> Jim

If you think there is a possibility of the air intake causing the
noise, remove one of the blanks from the front panel of the case or one
of the metal slot blanks at the rear of the MB. This should alter it
enough to prove it one way or the other. I still think your PS is
causing the problem when the temperature increases after the cover is
installed. This may be due to the drivers for the transformer operating
on the high end of their range.

Ken

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

ric wrote:
> Ken wrote:
>

>> This is what I would do. You have an oscillator circuit (PWM) in the
>>PS that varies in frequency due to changes in the load.
>

> Not really. Most all PWM PSUs change *pulse width* due to changes in
> load. Few (if any) PC PSUs change frequency.

I stand corrected with regard to the PWM, but for simplicity sake I
thought frequency would be easier to understand.

Ken wrote:

> ric wrote:
> > Ken wrote:
> >

> >> This is what I would do. You have an oscillator circuit (PWM) in the
> >>PS that varies in frequency due to changes in the load.
> >

> > Not really. Most all PWM PSUs change *pulse width* due to changes in
> > load. Few (if any) PC PSUs change frequency.
>
> I stand corrected with regard to the PWM, but for simplicity sake I
> thought frequency would be easier to understand.

Ken,

See the msg I just posted. I think that I may've resolved the problem.
Very weird one :)!!!

Jim

Phisherman

You will have to become a detective. Perhaps the power supply is
resonating with the air flow rate? Do you have a stethoscope?

Phisherman wrote:

> You will have to become a detective. Perhaps the power supply is
> resonating with the air flow rate? Do you have a stethoscope?

Phisherman,

No, I don't have a stethoscope, but at one point, I was thinking of
trying to find some kind of directional sound meter!!

However, the problem is that, as I mentioned, the sound stops a short
while after I open the covers, so that makes it even more difficult
(i.e., since I can't stick anything inside to probe around while the
covers are on the case!).

BTW, I just made a post. I think I may've fixed the problem (although I
don't think I've actually figured out 'WHAT' the problem is).

Jim

dos

It was your CPU fan, which increases in speed while the cover was on, then
slows after you remove the cover.

doS wrote:

> It was your CPU fan, which increases in speed while the cover was on, then
> slows after you remove the cover.

doS,

It can't be the CPU fan. As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, I
tried pulling power (very briefly) to the CPU fan while I was hearing
the whistling, and the whistling still remained after the CPU fan had
completely stopped.

I just did this same test again, with the same results (CPU fan stopped,
still got whistling).

Jim

dos

Opps, sorry mate, I missed that in the post.

"ohaya" <ohaya@cox.net> wrote in message news:424614AA.43BFDE82@cox.net...

> doS wrote:
> >
> > It was your CPU fan, which increases in speed while the cover was on,
then
> > slows after you remove the cover.
>

> doS,
>
> It can't be the CPU fan. As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, I
> tried pulling power (very briefly) to the CPU fan while I was hearing
> the whistling, and the whistling still remained after the CPU fan had
> completely stopped.
>
> I just did this same test again, with the same results (CPU fan stopped,
> still got whistling).
>
> Jim

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 21:12:14 -0500, "doS"
<kobo65@hotREMOVETHISmail.com> wrote:

>Opps, sorry mate, I missed that in the post.
>
>"ohaya" <ohaya@cox.net> wrote in message news:424614AA.43BFDE82@cox.net...
>>

>> doS wrote:
>> >
>> > It was your CPU fan, which increases in speed while the cover was on,
>then
>> > slows after you remove the cover.
>>

>> doS,
>>
>> It can't be the CPU fan. As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, I
>> tried pulling power (very briefly) to the CPU fan while I was hearing
>> the whistling, and the whistling still remained after the CPU fan had
>> completely stopped.
>>
>> I just did this same test again, with the same results (CPU fan stopped,
>> still got whistling).
>>
>> Jim

Let system sit idle at desktop with all background apps
closed. Compare that sound to that observed when running
CPU at nearly full load, for example running Prime95's
Torture test. The sound is most likely coming from one (or
both) of the two torroidal (doughnut-shaped) inductors next
to the socket. If the board isn't under warranty you
"could" just go ahead and coat both with a temp-resistant
epoxy anyway.

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 10:27:40 -0500, ohaya <ohaya@cox.net> put finger
to keyboard and composed:

>> This is what I would do. You have an oscillator circuit (PWM) in the
>> PS that varies in frequency due to changes in the load. Also, there is
>> probably an oscillator on the MB that is used to control (regulate) the
>> core voltage for the processor. You could have one of these singing.
>>
>> Isn't a 300W power supply a little low for this system? I don't know,
>> I am just asking.

The OP has a Deer PSU. I have a similar L&C 400W PSU which is really
only capable of 160W.

See this URL for pix of the internals:
http://terasan.okiraku-pc.net/dengen/no38/index.html

Note the SF1004G dual diode in this pic:
http://terasan.okiraku-pc.net/dengen/no38/up05.jpg

The PSU's rating sticker is claiming that this 10A diode can supply
15A (from the +12V rail). This is the diode's datasheet:

http://www.taiwansemi.com/taiwansemi/download/pdf/SF1001G.pdf

The PSU manufacturer has chosen a "super fast" rectifier instead of a
more efficient Schottky type. The latter has about half the forward
voltage drop, which results in half the power dissipation.

> [...]
>starts the "singing".
>
>This latter one seems like the most possible, since it kind of would
>explain the sound not disappearing immediately after the cover removal
>(i.e., it might take a few minutes for temperature inside the case to
>drop enough for the singing component/circuit to stop singing), and the
>sound not appearing immediately after the covers are put back on (i.e.,
>it might take a few minutes for temperature inside the case to rise
>enough for the singing component/circuit to start singing). This would
>also explain why the sound doesn't occur when the covers are left off
>(i.e., the temperature inside the case stays lower, so the singing
>component/circuit doesn't sing).
>
>Any thoughts on how I might "prove" this, and also, if this is the case,
>how I might prevent/eliminate the sound??

A hair dryer and a can of freeze may help locate the fault if it is a
thermal one, although I'd avoid heating the Vcore regulator for any
length of time. Another way is to use CpuIdle (www.cpuidle.de) to vary
the load on the CPU, and on the PSU. Use Motherboard Monitor
(http://mbm.livewiredev.com/download.html) to report the case temps.

It may also help to identify the frequency of the whistling. Would
your microphone and sound card be able to do this?

- Franc Zabkar

> A hair dryer and a can of freeze may help locate the fault if it is a
> thermal one, although I'd avoid heating the Vcore regulator for any
> length of time. Another way is to use CpuIdle (www.cpuidle.de) to
vary
> the load on the CPU, and on the PSU. Use Motherboard Monitor
> (http://mbm.livewiredev.com/download.html) to report the case temps.
>
> It may also help to identify the frequency of the whistling. Would
> your microphone and sound card be able to do this?

Frank,

I've uploaded a .WAV recording of the sound, and it's at:

http://members.cox.net/ohaya/AbitNoise.wav

Jim

"ohaya" wrote:

> > A hair dryer and a can of freeze may help locate the fault if it is a
> > thermal one, although I'd avoid heating the Vcore regulator for any
> > length of time. Another way is to use CpuIdle (www.cpuidle.de) to
> vary
> > the load on the CPU, and on the PSU. Use Motherboard Monitor
> > (http://mbm.livewiredev.com/download.html) to report the case temps.
> >
> > It may also help to identify the frequency of the whistling. Would
> > your microphone and sound card be able to do this?
>
> Frank,
>
> I've uploaded a .WAV recording of the sound, and it's at:
>
> http://members.cox.net/ohaya/AbitNoise.wav

It's definitely sasquatch. You have a sasquatch in your computer.

Jon

On 29 Mar 2005 06:59:24 -0800, "ohaya" <ohaya@yahoo.com> put finger to
keyboard and composed:

>> I don't have Cool Edit or Sound Forge, so I can't perform a proper
>> frequency analysis of your .wav file ...
>

>Frank,
>
>This one is indeed a mystery!!
>
>Would one of those programs do an FFT on the audio WAV? I should try
>that and see what it comes up with.

I believe Sound Forge can do a Fourier analaysis.

- Franc Zabkar

ah-HA !

i got the same issue going on
i've tried 2 diff PS
i've checked the fans (case and heatsink)
it's obvious it's coming from the HD
a friend was interested buying it off me,
he had the SAME problem (and also ran tests, changing components)
so this mobo has been thru a couple of cases and at least 4 PS,
several HD's - and is still insist on carrying a tune !
i took it back and finally tested it with a SATA drive
guess what ?
it makes the SATA sing too !

i left a mess with ABIT-USA ... will have to wait a while for
feedback

this was a nice mobo for my matx case
400 FSB cpu
400 FSB ram
SATA

... tsk! tsk! :roll:

Spajky

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 23:09:20 +0000,
kriminelle@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (kriminelle) wrote:

>ah-HA !

>it's obvious it's coming from the HD

>it makes the SATA sing too !

solution for "singing" HDs:
under comp/mods on my site ... :)
--
˛˛ ˛˛ Regards , SPAJKY ®
\\.//_. mail addr. @ my site @ http://www.spajky.vze.com

"ohaya" <ohaya@yahoo.com> skrev i melding

> > A hair dryer and a can of freeze may help locate the fault if it is a
> > thermal one, although I'd avoid heating the Vcore regulator for any
> > length of time. Another way is to use CpuIdle (www.cpuidle.de) to
> vary
> > the load on the CPU, and on the PSU. Use Motherboard Monitor
> > (http://mbm.livewiredev.com/download.html) to report the case temps.
> >
> > It may also help to identify the frequency of the whistling. Would
> > your microphone and sound card be able to do this?
>
> Frank,
>
> I've uploaded a .WAV recording of the sound, and it's at:
>
> http://members.cox.net/ohaya/AbitNoise.wav

The frequenz of the whistling sound is fixed at 4650 Hz. That means a
wavelength of aprox 340,3 M/s / 4650 Hz ^= 0,073 meters.

That means it may be something physical on your mobo that has a length of
7,3 cm (or half -> 3.65 cm) that is generating that noise. It may be two to
torous that is located 7,3 or 3,65 cm from each other.

Geir Klemetsen wrote:

> "ohaya" <ohaya@yahoo.com> skrev i melding
> >
> > > A hair dryer and a can of freeze may help locate the fault if it is a
> > > thermal one, although I'd avoid heating the Vcore regulator for any
> > > length of time. Another way is to use CpuIdle (www.cpuidle.de) to
> > vary
> > > the load on the CPU, and on the PSU. Use Motherboard Monitor
> > > (http://mbm.livewiredev.com/download.html) to report the case temps.
> > >
> > > It may also help to identify the frequency of the whistling. Would
> > > your microphone and sound card be able to do this?
> >
> > Frank,
> >
> > I've uploaded a .WAV recording of the sound, and it's at:
> >
> > http://members.cox.net/ohaya/AbitNoise.wav
>
> The frequenz of the whistling sound is fixed at 4650 Hz. That means a
> wavelength of aprox 340,3 M/s / 4650 Hz ^= 0,073 meters.
>
> That means it may be something physical on your mobo that has a length of
> 7,3 cm (or half -> 3.65 cm) that is generating that noise. It may be two to
> torous that is located 7,3 or 3,65 cm from each other.

Hi Geir,

Hmm. So you're suggesting that the sound may be due to EM radiation
that happens to be audible? Interesting.

The two toroids are probably about 2-3 inches (about 7 cm) apart, I'd
guess.

If it is, in fact, EM, what would I need to do eliminate the sound.
Perhaps something like shield one of the coils with something metallic?

During my testing, I had avoided bringing anything metallic near the
board :).

Jim

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 07:02:34 -0400, ohaya <ohaya@cox.net>
wrote:

>> > http://members.cox.net/ohaya/AbitNoise.wav
>>
>> The frequenz of the whistling sound is fixed at 4650 Hz. That means a
>> wavelength of aprox 340,3 M/s / 4650 Hz ^= 0,073 meters.
>>
>> That means it may be something physical on your mobo that has a length of
>> 7,3 cm (or half -> 3.65 cm) that is generating that noise. It may be two to
>> torous that is located 7,3 or 3,65 cm from each other.
>
>Hi Geir,
>
>Hmm. So you're suggesting that the sound may be due to EM radiation
>that happens to be audible? Interesting.

No, where do you get "EM" from?
Because it's probably an inductor?
In this context that is somewhat irrelevant.

>The two toroids are probably about 2-3 inches (about 7 cm) apart, I'd
>guess.
>
>If it is, in fact, EM, what would I need to do eliminate the sound.
>Perhaps something like shield one of the coils with something metallic?

Definitely not. Forget about "EM", as it is not useful to
consider anything pertaining to "EM".

>During my testing, I had avoided bringing anything metallic near the
>board :).

An inductor will make noise when it's frequency causes
resonation. That can vary per the current, ambient temp
(inductor coil temp) in addition to the random variability
of manufacturering inductors. None of this is necessarily
significant. You merely need to focus on the part itself,
either coating the coils so their movement is dampened (if
not eliminated) or varying the current or temp "enough" to
stop the noise. In practice, dampening the coil movement is
the most universally practical solution.

On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 19:41:56 +0200, "Geir Klemetsen"
<regeirgarbagespam@start.no> put finger to keyboard and composed:

>"ohaya" <ohaya@yahoo.com> skrev i melding
>>
>> > A hair dryer and a can of freeze may help locate the fault if it is a
>> > thermal one, although I'd avoid heating the Vcore regulator for any
>> > length of time. Another way is to use CpuIdle (www.cpuidle.de) to
>> vary
>> > the load on the CPU, and on the PSU. Use Motherboard Monitor
>> > (http://mbm.livewiredev.com/download.html) to report the case temps.
>> >
>> > It may also help to identify the frequency of the whistling. Would
>> > your microphone and sound card be able to do this?
>>
>> Frank,
>>
>> I've uploaded a .WAV recording of the sound, and it's at:
>>
>> http://members.cox.net/ohaya/AbitNoise.wav
>
>The frequenz of the whistling sound is fixed at 4650 Hz. That means a
>wavelength of aprox 340,3 M/s / 4650 Hz ^= 0,073 meters.
>
>That means it may be something physical on your mobo that has a length of
>7,3 cm (or half -> 3.65 cm) that is generating that noise. It may be two to
>torous that is located 7,3 or 3,65 cm from each other.

I found a freeware sound app (Audacity) that produces a spectrum plot.
As you say, there is a peak at ~4620Hz. Another major peak is at
550Hz, with smaller peaks at 279, 1120, 1270, and 1438Hz.

- Franc Zabkar

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 14:04:25 GMT, kony <spam@spam.com> put finger to
keyboard and composed:

>An inductor will make noise when it's frequency causes
>resonation.

> You merely need to focus on the part itself,
>either coating the coils so their movement is dampened (if
>not eliminated) or varying the current or temp "enough" to
>stop the noise. In practice, dampening the coil movement is
>the most universally practical solution.

In the repair trade we usually spray PCB lacquer on the offending
parts. I've even seen flyback transformers ship from the factory with
styrofoam pads for this purpose.

- Franc Zabkar