Can't format brand new SSD due to I/O errors

alvareo

Honorable
Aug 1, 2014
So my old PNY SSD died suddenly and after a while I got a new one, a 250 GB EVO 850. When trying to use it to install W10, it kept giving me errors that it couldn't create a new partition when clicking Next. I looked up the error and many solutions recommended to run a clean all on the drive via diskpart, so I did. It didn't help, and after a while I figured out it was because an old temporary install of the W10 beta on the secondary HDD had confused things, so I unplugged it and it could create the additional three partitions and install fine. I had a bunch of weird issues, such as freezes on the first couple minutes after logging in, Wi-Fi adapter being recognised but not finding any networks. Chalked it up to updates, but when the dreaded anniversary update came up, a reboot hung it at 0% install for two hours. Didn't seem to be a usual problem, so I forced a reboot. It then told me it was rolling back the update, which after two more hours I just switched off and proceeded to reinstall Windows with the media creation tool so all updates would be already there. So, I get to the drive select window, I select the large partition of the SSD, hit format... and it stuck there for an hour. Fairly certain this shouldn't take more than five seconds, but I've experienced what happens when you force quit a stalled format so I left it there. I tried to run diskpart but it hung at Copyright (C) etc. and then the computer's name.I left it overnight and wished for the best, but when I woke up it gave me error 0x80070057. Looked it up and it meant a corrupted system partition, and I should delete it. I tried to, and it froze again. After an hour, it gave me error 0x80070045d which I got different things for but mostly it's an I/O error. Still had issues with diskpart not starting, so i rebooted the computer to the installation drive and ran it again. It started, so I ran a clean all and after a few minutes: I/O error. Is my drive already dead? Should I try a warranty replacement?

Thank you.

edit: just tried to format the main partition again and it gave me error 0x80042417 which I can barely find anything about

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
why don't you download the anniversary iso and install from it?

about the rest of the problems, sometimes the sata cable itself is a problem, tyr to replace it

the wifi problem, could be just windows using the wrong driver, try to find the driver for yourself and install it directly

alvareo

Honorable
Aug 1, 2014
I forgot something I should mention and will add to the OP: before unplugging the secondary drive, I did a 'clean all' on the SSD to see if that helped. It didn't, so I unplugged the other drive and then did what I mentioned above.

okay, so before your responses, I turned it off and unplugged the secondary drive again to see if that was part of the problem somehow. When I got to the disk selection window again, the drive was just one partition of unallocated space. I hit format, so it asked me if I wanted to create the other necessary partitions and I said yes. Froze for around an hour again, and then gave me a recovery, a system, and an unallocated large partition. So no MSR partition either. I hit New on the unallocated partition and it's frozen for over two hours. Hopefully it unfreezes so I can try another cable; I shouldn't force a shutdown, right?

I used the install CD after it didn't work and it installed, I rebooted the computer, got the requisite ugly Wi-Fi managing program, and still nothing. Tried to update the driver via devmgmt and then uninstalled the hardware, downloaded the latest driver-and-program installer from the manufacturer, etc. Either way, that doesn't matter right now as my boot drive is unusable, and I shouldn't run into the same problem when I (hopefully) end up installing the OS.