[SOLVED] Can't format local disk C

Sep 11, 2019
i'm trying to reinstall windows 10 with bootable usb.I want to clean my local disk C (111 GB and 32 GB Free space)completely so when im on the windows 10 setup i selected my local disk C and "Format" button but nothing happened it has still 32 GB Free space.So format button doesn't work on me.

And I wonder why my local disk type is "System" not "Primary".Is this the reason that I couldn't change anything on that disk?If so how can i clean and format it?

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Whatever you get out of diskpart is all you're going to get. For all I know your drive could have bad sectors or similar, which would cause part of it to be excluded from formatting or use of any kind.

Have you run any diagnostics on the drive itself to see what comes back? I strongly suspect you have a "less than perfect" drive situation going on.

USAFRet

Titan
i'm trying to reinstall windows 10 with bootable usb.I want to clean my local disk C (111 GB and 32 GB Free space)completely so when im on the windows 10 setup i selected my local disk C and "Format" button but nothing happened it has still 32 GB Free space.So format button doesn't work on me.

And I wonder why my local disk type is "System" not "Primary".Is this the reason that I couldn't change anything on that disk?If so how can i clean and format it?
You can't "format" the drive from within the running Windows instance.

If you're actually booting from the USB, you won't see a "C Drive".
You would see only a list of existing partitions.
These, you delete ALL of them until you have one blank space.
Continue, and let the OS setup do its thing.

Section II, Step 6 & 7 speak to deleting all those partitions

Sep 11, 2019
Whatever you get out of diskpart is all you're going to get. For all I know your drive could have bad sectors or similar, which would cause part of it to be excluded from formatting or use of any kind.

Have you run any diagnostics on the drive itself to see what comes back? I strongly suspect you have a "less than perfect" drive situation going on.

I didn't run diagnostics.I'll do that and feed-back again if drivers have bad sectors problem etc

You can't "format" the drive from within the running Windows instance.

If you're actually booting from the USB, you won't see a "C Drive".
You would see only a list of existing partitions.
These, you delete ALL of them until you have one blank space.
Continue, and let the OS setup do its thing.

Section II, Step 6 & 7 speak to deleting all those partitions
Delete button is not active for the all partitions.Only Refresh,Load Driver,Format buttons are active for them.

USAFRet

Titan
First off, you should only have one and only one drive connected while you do this install.
I see a 1TB and a 500GB.
Disconnect those.

Additionally, the 111.3GB selection. What is that?
That is your current C drive?
And the DELETE selection Sil is greyed out?

And just to verify, you ARE booting directly from the USB windows install, correct?

Sep 11, 2019
I have 2 drivers: C and D
C is my local driver and D is backup driver

In the panel picture at https://pasteboard.co/IwW2Smc.jpg
  • C driver(Local Disk) is 111.3 GB (32 GB Free Space) Type:System (The one i selected in picture)
  • D Driver is 931.4 GB (518.5 GB Free Space) Type: Dynamic
Other partitions shown in the picture are
  • Driver 0 Partition : 1 127 MB partition Type:Reserved (MSR)
  • Driver 1 : 461 MB partition non-Reserved
Yes, i used Windows Media Creation Tool for iso file and Rufus for usb.My C drive type is MBR ,file type is NTFS and my bios is old (doesn't support UEFI).So i adjust Rufus settings according to that.I'm booting directly from usb.

The reason why I begun to Clean Windows 10 re-install is Blue Screen Error . I couldn't fix that because when I tried to apply solutions in the internet my computer shows that error and restart.The most interesting thing is after restart ,my computer is like returned a restored point ; all browser history gone,all the settings i made reset,programs i deleted before restart in C drive still there after restart like i didn't touch anything.I think the reason of blue screen error is a windows update or Advanced System Care.

Anyway like
britechguy said i scanned my harddisk and here is the results:
https://pasteboard.co/IwWLf3a.jpg

And my system information:
https://pasteboard.co/IwWSnm1.jpg

My system is old but I haven't seen such a problem like that until now.
What should i do?

Thanks for the help.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
You are not going to fix bad sectors, and 5% (4.7%) is quite high. I would imagine the "Health" tab on that report you showed the "Error Scan" tab for is not going to declare the drive healthy.

This drive is on borrowed time, and I'd never want to use it as the main OS drive.