[SOLVED] Cant format my kingston SSD

Apr 21, 2019
Hi Guy's/Girl's

Bit of an odd one.

Yesterday my partner's machine blue screened while playing a game (cant remember the error - something system_service_exception).
The only thing i could put it down to was Avast was playing up, couldnt open it, couldnt close it.. just wouldnt respond at all. So after trying (and failing) to uninstall avast both through add/remove programs and through the avast uninstall application i just couldnt get it to uninstall. After a lot of messing about with that i decided a fresh windows install would sort it.

So having tried to reinstall windows i discovered i couldnt format the SSD for a fresh install and just trying to replace the existing install caused an error message.

So i started trying to force a format with DiskPart, with zero luck.. Sometimes with error messages sometimes it would say it had completed, but as soon as i went back to the windows install it still showed as having the partitions and being 65% full on the main partition.

Following that i pulled the drive out of my partners machine and stuck it in mine to try and do a format through disk manager with no luck.. again, always went through the process.. suggested it was finished successfully but open it in explorer and all the folders/files are still there.

I then tried EaseUS - again with no luck but always saying it's been successful.

I then tried it through Linux and still no luck.

After trying to format it several times i just cant get rid of any files/folders. I can still create folders on the drive, add/remove new files to the drive. And the most confusing thing is if i stick it back in the original pc it still boots up ok (albeit still running like a bag of crap).

I've only had it about 10 months so if nobody has any further ideas it'll get sent back and replaced.

Oh and it's a Kingston A400 480GB

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thankyou in advance!

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Have you tried the command 'clean' in DiskPart before 'format'? Just make absolutely sure you identify the proper drive in DiskPart first before doing 'clean' and 'format' because if you have other drives in the system you might accidentally wipe their data off.

To do that if memory serves righ: By typing CMD open command prompt (as admin), type "diskpart", enter the command "list disk", identify the SSD (by its size) and select it by typing "select disk X" where "X" is the disk number. When it confirms "X is the selected disk" type "clean" this will clean the disk and then you should be able to format it.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Here's a review from newegg:

Raven C:

Died Under 6 months12/27/2018 4:47:30 PM
Pros: not much of pros since even the speed is not any better than regular drive
Cons: Much lower speeds than regular ssd drives.
Purchased over 20 of them and most of them died in under 6 months.
Other Thoughts: Do not recommend kingston brand. pay a little more and purchase Samsung.

Apr 21, 2019
Have tried the Clean and Clean All commands.

Ah, that may explain it then. Maybe i'll see if i can pay a little more and get a different one - I've got a WD one in mine, are they any better? Had no problems with that at all.

Thankyou guy's

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Well I was going to say if those don't work the drive is probably faulty. I agree that these are not even mediocre quality and there's plenty of stories about their failure on the net.

I agree with Samsung or Crucial making very decent drives and choosing them over others.

I have a 256GB Samsung 840 Pro. The total writes on it is nearing 10TB and software like HD Sentinel and hwinfo determine it's remaining life to be at 95% so no complaints there I guess.

Reactions: RichWils0711
Nov 28, 2019
Exactly the same problem. My Kingston SSD is like a year old.
Simply cannot format it. Tried DiskPart, and in other computer to no luck.
The SSD is like read-only blocked and i cant save anything..
I will have to buy another..