[SOLVED] Can't get a video signal with EVGA GTX 580 1.5gb graphics card ?

osborn12341

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014
Hello, I am trying to find some help on why i cant get this 580 graphics card to show any video. It keeps saying no signal, But the fan is spinning. I have a MSi X570 gaming wifi motherboard with a ryzen 5 3600, I am running a 580 armored 8gb graphics card with it , Im pretty sure its an MSI also, I have 32gb ram, and a 650 watt psu. Can some one plz give me an idea of what im doing wrong, for it not to be giving any signal to my monitor, or how to go about installing the right drivers for it, or maybe its just a bad card that cant be fixed. any ideas will help Thank you..

Solution
Given how old the card is, id say it's a dead one. We're talking about a 10+ yrs old gpu here. At the very least it would need a deep cleaning and a repaste if that was never done. But yeah, i'd be surprised if that card still runs even after that.

The fact the fans are spinning means little to nothing. It simply means that the psu is delivering sufficient power for the card to spin its fans. Quick and easy solution would by to try it on another system... but is it really worth the hassle? I mean nowadays you'd literally could only use that gpu as an idle pc gpu.
The Rx580 was originally released in March 2017. So not quite '10+ years old gpu' unless my math is totally wrong.

Physical age has little bearing on lifespan. I have...

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
EDIT: Misread as RX 580, didn't catch the EVGA name lol. Silly me.

Given the age, and the fact that Fermi runs hot, it's not unlikely the card is dead, OP. Easy way to make sure is procuring some other GPU just to get display, or testing the 580 in another system. If your PSU is fine, you can bring along the PSU to the other system as well, just in case.

While crap 650W will power on that thing just fine, there's always an off-chance that dodgy PSU killed your GPU. Still, I wouldn't bet on the PSU just yet. I'm assuming it's at least Tier C or D on the tier list at the very worst, couldn't be that bad. If the load isn't too high on PSU, chances are dirt-tier PSUs can work just fine. Not well, just fine.

If the PSU turns out to be the issue, the possibility of GPU damage from PSU is exacerbated by the fact that GTX 580 is a high-wattage GPU, as well.

Last edited:

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
Given how old the card is, id say it's a dead one. We're talking about a 10+ yrs old gpu here. At the very least it would need a deep cleaning and a repaste if that was never done. But yeah, i'd be surprised if that card still runs even after that.

The fact the fans are spinning means little to nothing. It simply means that the psu is delivering sufficient power for the card to spin its fans. Quick and easy solution would by to try it on another system... but is it really worth the hassle? I mean nowadays you'd literally could only use that gpu as an idle pc gpu.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador

The Rx580 was originally released in March 2017. So not quite '10+ years old gpu' unless my math is totally wrong.

Physical age has little bearing on lifespan. I have a 3dfx Voodoo2 3000 16Mb that still functions just fine (1998). Use and/or abuse will determine a gpus effective lifespan much more than physical age.

The Rx580 is still a very respectable 1080p card, absolutely nothing wrong with its ability so it's of far greater value than 'an idle pc gpu' and is a good match up for a Ryzen 3600.

With today's unrealistic and frankly abysmal pricing on gpus, the Rx580 is absolutely worth saving, not everybody has access to or a need for a 3080-3090/6800XT just because they are the strongest gpus on the mainstream market.

Op has a reasonable concern and that demands a reasonable answer and/or reasonable advice.

@osborn12341
Your motherboard has functional led lights in the top right corner that cycle during the boot process. Do those diagnostic leds hang up on a specific led like VGA or CPU or Ram? Or does the boot process finish fully and you are actually in windows but with no display at all? Does the monitor input match the cable used from the gpu?

Last edited:
Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I have a MSi X570 gaming wifi motherboard with a ryzen 5 3600, I am running a 580 armored 8gb graphics card with it , Im pretty sure its an MSI
That's not a GTX580. Not even Evga. So only conclusion is that Op has 2x gpus and is seeing if possibly the older card works. Windows 10 includes nvidia whql drivers, so for signal purposes, advanced drivers are not required, nor is dumping any functional AMD drivers, windows should boot perfectly fine as is.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Win10/DX12 is mgpu, multi-gpu, not sli/crossfire based, so shouldn't have any difficulty swapping outputs with different cards. As long as the secondary slot being used isn't prioritized by storage chipset use, both cards should work independently of each other barring any software that demands use of both. Should be able to run seperate monitors from seperate cards, but Op hasn't exactly made the full situation clear as to setup and/or explanation of expectations.

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
Well, I think a little confusion has been in the thread. What I understand from op is that he's trying to run BOTH RX580 AND GTX580 in same system at the same time. Which might be the reason why it does not work.

Hoo boy. OP, is this what you're aiming to do? @osborn12341

We are at the stage where every model number has been used and used and used again. If I told you to go buy a 590 or a 5800 or a 1660 you might come back with one of five different things.

Also this. Confusing as hell lol.

osborn12341

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014
sorry about all the confusion. Still learning all the lingo and name brands and model types. Im running a radeon 580 armored 8gb. I came across another video card that is a EVGA Geforce GTX 580 1.5 or 3gb GDDR5. My question is. When i take out my working gpu and I put that one in to see if it worked, all that happens is the fan on it comes on. Im woundering do i have to uninstall all my other video drivers for my computer to recognize it, cause the diffrent brands and drivers. I know its an old outta date card, I can still use it for my sons computer for the time being. So I ran DDU deleted all my video drivers, put the graphics card back in and was hoping the computer might install the drivers for it, or atleast get it to put a picture up on my monitor. Still just the fan turns on, no signal. Sorry about the confusion.

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
Ofc. If you're trying to run a gtx card while having the amd drivers installed, it will never happen. You need to clean uninstall the amd drivers using ddu and then plug the gtx card in. THEN it SHOULD work assuming the card itself still works.

osborn12341

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014

Physical age has little bearing on lifespan. I have a 3dfx Voodoo2 3000 16Mb that still functions just fine (1998). Use and/or abuse will determine a gpus effective lifespan much more than physical age.

The Rx580 is still a very respectable 1080p card, absolutely nothing wrong with its ability so it's of far greater value than 'an idle pc gpu' and is a good match up for a Ryzen 3600.

With today's unrealistic and frankly abysmal pricing on gpus, the Rx580 is absolutely worth saving, not everybody has access to or a need for a 3080-3090/6800XT just because they are the strongest gpus on the mainstream market.

Op has a reasonable concern and that demands a reasonable answer and/or reasonable advice.

@osborn12341
Your motherboard has functional led lights in the top right corner that cycle during the boot process. Do those diagnostic leds hang up on a specific led like VGA or CPU or Ram? Or does the boot process finish fully and you are actually in windows but with no display at all? Does the monitor input match the cable used from the gpu?
I did notice that the two light,VGA,BOOT. I cleaned it out really good and repasted it. the one guy said that it just might be a dead card. But thats what i was trying to figure out. I was trying to type everything in a hurry yesterday morning, I didnt notice I wasnt really making sense.lol. Its an EVGA GeForce GTX 580.

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
sorry about all the confusion. Still learning all the lingo and name brands and model types. Im running a radeon 580 armored 8gb. I came across another video card that is a EVGA Geforce GTX 580 1.5 or 3gb GDDR5. My question is. When i take out my working gpu and I put that one in to see if it worked, all that happens is the fan on it comes on. Im woundering do i have to uninstall all my other video drivers for my computer to recognize it, cause the diffrent brands and drivers. I know its an old outta date card, I can still use it for my sons computer for the time being. So I ran DDU deleted all my video drivers, put the graphics card back in and was hoping the computer might install the drivers for it, or atleast get it to put a picture up on my monitor. Still just the fan turns on, no signal. Sorry about the confusion.

Since you have already hit it with DDU and clean install, the more likely is the GTX 580 is dead. Honestly, even without DDU you should still see something on the screen. BIOS, for example, doesn't care what driver is loaded in Windows and thus should always be displayed in the event of a successful boot.

We know that the rest of the system is okay: you have a functional PC before the GTX card is installed. Maybe double check by putting the RX back inside and confirm everything is working. Short of edge case of PSU failure, I'd still bet on a dead GTX 580. Maybe just clean it up real nice on the contacts, blow on it like old Nintendo cartridge, cross your fingers and try the GTX again.

And yeah, as mentioned in the thread: old card, high wattage, runs hot out of the box. All three are candidates for GPU killers. Yeah, some people still have, what, 2900 XT running? But failures will still be there. exacerbated by all three factors there.

Ofc. If you're trying to run a gtx card while having the amd drivers installed, it will never happen. You need to clean uninstall the amd drivers using ddu and then plug the gtx card in. THEN it SHOULD work assuming the card itself still works.

He did DDU it. Still doesn't work. Personally I'd just keep it on a shelf as a piece of PC hardware history.

Sorry about the confusion.
No problem man. Its on us to find out what you mean in your post by asking additional questions - you don't have to be an expert (after all you would not need to ask if you were, right?).
Back to your problem. As already mentioned by others, it looks like a dead card. The other possibility would be that it was just a dead output port, bad cable or even just something as trivial as a cable not pushed enough into port. So before you mark this card as dead try other cable and port(s).

I am not convinced that it is indeed a dead GPU. It can very well be that it's a legacy bios GPU installed in a UEFI BIOS motherboard.

There should be a BIOS setting but I haven't properly researched it to give more info. Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can help.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
The GTX500 series were absolutely horrible cards, ran hot, noisy and used an absolute ton of power.

the power design meant that they had to use some pretty chunky VRMs, and all but the top tier manufacturers (which doesn’t include EVGA) cheaped out on them.

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
I am not convinced that it is indeed a dead GPU. It can very well be that it's a legacy bios GPU installed in a UEFI BIOS motherboard.

There should be a BIOS setting but I haven't properly researched it to give more info. Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can help.
That's reasonable. Didn't think of it since in my (limited) experience of installing old GPUs to more modern systems never caused an issue aside from limited or janky driver install. Pretty sure when I used my HD 4650 on my main rig it displays right away without tinkering in BIOS.

IIRC the option in BIOS regarding PCI device is always about PCIe 1.0. Been a while since I roamed Ryzen boards' BIOS, though, might be wrong.

That's reasonable. Didn't think of it since in my (limited) experience of installing old GPUs to more modern systems never caused an issue aside from limited or janky driver install. Pretty sure when I used my HD 4650 on my main rig it displays right away without tinkering in BIOS.

IIRC the option in BIOS regarding PCI device is always about PCIe 1.0. Been a while since I roamed Ryzen boards' BIOS, though, might be wrong.
The setting I am referring to is the one @Karadjgne said in his answer. It has nothing to do with PCIe.