Question Can't get ASUS B650M-A WIFI II board to POST

jiv808

Honorable
Sep 5, 2018
Hi
Just testing a new system on one of those cheapie test benches off of ebay. :)

Motherboard is an ASUS B650M-A WIFI II socket AM5. CPU is a Ryzen 7 7700X. ASUS website says CPU is compatible
https://www.asus.com/motherboards-c...desk_qvl_cpu?model2Name=PRIME-B650M-A-WIFI-II

RAM consists of 4 Crucial 24GB DDR5 modules. Should be ok there.

BUT CPU power is another thing. There's the usual 24pin ATX connector, and a 8pin ATX power connector and a 4pin ATX power connector. I've seen two 8pin ATX sockets on server boards, but not on a "desktop" board.

My PSU only has a 8pin ATX connector. The motherboard powers up and the heatsink fan starts spinning but no POST.

I'll do some more diagnosing with the RAM sticks and see how I go.

Could not having that extra 4pin ATX power connector plugged in affect the POST procedure?

Lutfij

Titan
Try with two sticks of ram in slots A2 and B2. Please pass on the link to your ram kit.

On second thoughts, when posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model.

jiv808

Honorable
Sep 5, 2018
Try with two sticks of ram in slots A2 and B2. Please pass on the link to your ram kit.

On second thoughts, when posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model.
Ok sorry. I'll list what I know...

CPU - Ryzen 7 7700X
CPU cooler - AMD RGB stock cooler.
Motherboard - ASUS B650M-A WIFI II
RAM - Crucial 2x24GB DDR5 PRO series (two sets to 96GB total)
https://www.crucial.com/memory/ddr5/cp2k24g60c48u5
HDD: Seagate 500GB
GPU: GTX1050Ti
PSU: Generic 500W PSU
Chassis: ebay test bench
Monitor: HP 27in 1440p capable

Got it to POST!! Initially I had an old PCIe video card plugged in (of dubious nature). I decided to power up and let it "sit" and hopefully sort itself out. After 2-3 minutes I got 1 long beep and 3 short beeps. Looking in Google this relates to a GPU error? So I powered down, took out that old card (which I have never tested before) and inserted the GTX1050Ti card. Powered up again and let it "sit". After 1 minute or so it beeped once, then a display appeared.

Mind you it takes a long time to POST. Is this normal for the newer boards?

Ok sorry. I'll list what I know...

CPU - Ryzen 7 7700X
CPU cooler - AMD RGB stock cooler.
Motherboard - ASUS B650M-A WIFI II
RAM - Crucial 2x24GB DDR5 PRO series (two sets to 96GB total)
https://www.crucial.com/memory/ddr5/cp2k24g60c48u5
HDD: Seagate 500GB
GPU: GTX1050Ti
PSU: Generic 500W PSU
Chassis: ebay test bench
Monitor: HP 27in 1440p capable

Got it to POST!! Initially I had an old PCIe video card plugged in (of dubious nature). I decided to power up and let it "sit" and hopefully sort itself out. After 2-3 minutes I got 1 long beep and 3 short beeps. Looking in Google this relates to a GPU error? So I powered down, took out that old card (which I have never tested before) and inserted the GTX1050Ti card. Powered up again and let it "sit". After 1 minute or so it beeped once, then a display appeared.

Mind you it takes a long time to POST. Is this normal for the newer boards?
It's normal to take longer time to post specially when starting first time and after after CMOS reset. It's mostly due to "Memory training" when BIOS has to recognize it and set to some defaults. After that it should be much faster.

Reactions: Hotrod2go