Question Can't get CPU cooler Corsair iCUE H150i RGB Elite to work with FanControl by Remo0 or OpenRGB

Sean16

Reputable
Feb 24, 2020
Hi there.

Was hoping you could help, having some issues with my CPU cooler in getting it to talk to two separate pieces of third party software, FanControl by Remo0 and OpenRGB. My CPU cooler is a Corsair iCUE H150i RGB Elite. It's connected to my motherboard and power supply via an X1 USB-C Wire Harness, with one connector going to the CPU_FAN header and another to a USB 2 header. It's connected to the PSU via a SATA connector. I do not have a Commander Core unit, the cooler I have is the non-Capellix version. The CPU pump has RGB but the 3 fans do not.

I've been trying to get it to work with both FanControl and OpenRGB in order to control all of my fans and RGB from the one source. I can see the RPM of my CPU fans through FanControl but I cannot directly control them, it's as though it's being overwritten. The RGB on the CPU pump doesn't show up at all through OpenRGB. I can control the RGB through iCUE but I really don't want to have several conflicting programs open at once, and opening and closing it turns off all the other RGB in my system. Every other component is working fine with both programs, even my two RAM sticks with are Corsair Vengeance Pros. I don't use iCUE and have it set to not launch on start-up, and for a while, after having to reinstall Windows for a separate reason, didn't have iCUE installed on my PC. I recently reinstalled it in the hope that updating the firmware would help but it's up to date.

My mobo is an ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming and I'm currently running the latest firmware on my CPU cooler v. 1.02.07. My PC was custom built so I'm a little unsure on how exactly everything works but from my own observations it looks like it's wired according to the manual on Corsair's website. I'm not sure if it's something to do with how it's connected but I'm hopeful that I can somehow enable the two pieces of software to recognise and control my CPU cooler. Have tried a bunch of other forums but so far haven't found a solution.

Would greatly appreciate any help you could provide and I'm more than happy to supply more info about my system.

Thanks.

Austin Bragg

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2013
Hey I know its been a couple months and I come bearing bad news, but news is news. I've recently come into a similar issue with OpenRGB. I've got all of my devices detected and mostly functional EXCEPT my H100i RGB Elite, which is also a newer version which doesn't seem to be compatible with OpenRGB yet. I'm hopeful it will come at some point in the near future. As for FanControl, I havent used the windows version because I ususally use bios, but if you just plug both fans from the radiator into a splitter coming from a PWM sys_fan header you should have no issue controlling them thru FanControl.

Sean16

Reputable
Feb 24, 2020
Hey I know its been a couple months and I come bearing bad news, but news is news. I've recently come into a similar issue with OpenRGB. I've got all of my devices detected and mostly functional EXCEPT my H100i RGB Elite, which is also a newer version which doesn't seem to be compatible with OpenRGB yet. I'm hopeful it will come at some point in the near future. As for FanControl, I havent used the windows version because I ususally use bios, but if you just plug both fans from the radiator into a splitter coming from a PWM sys_fan header you should have no issue controlling them thru FanControl.
Ah that sucks, hope they add support soon. I ended up talking to some people over on OpenRGB's Discord server and recommended I send them a USB captures but haven't gotten around to it. I had a look at Wireshark but heard that it can be risky so I gave it a pass, at least for now. I was that desperate to get going with my new PC so since then I've just been putting up with a rainbow pattern.

As for FanControl, managed to get my CPU fans under control! I had to disconnect them from the USB harness they were connected to and leave the pump itself connected to the CPU_FAN header, buy a separate 3-to-1 fan splitter and connect them to the CHA_FAN3 header on my mobo. Been working great since then!