Can't Get CPU In Socket Due To Temp Monitor

G

I just got an Abit KT7A Raid motherboard, but I'm having problems getting my cpu in the socket. The board has a temperature monitor in the middle of the socket that sticks up and my cpu can't fall into the socket completely. If I try to lock it in one side of the cpu is always sticking up a little bit. I wanted to push down the temp monitor but it doesn't move easily and I'm afraid if I really try to bend it a little it could break or screw up the board. I was just wondering if anyone has come across a problem like this before and if so what should I do? Any help would be great. Thanks!

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I had to bend the sensor upward because it was too low. I did this so that I could get the best possible readings given the poor location of the sensor. When I was done it held up the processor a little. I just pushed down on the processor as I locked down the lever. Gently adjust the height of the sensor so that you can do the same thing.

Make sure you don't have a misaligned pin on your CPU. If that's what is holding up your CPU pushing down on it would definitely ruin your day.

Would you like a Quarter Pounder?
No, thank you. Just give me the BIG heatsink. It's an Athlon.

G

Jobs like this are why my signature reads as follows.

Weapon of choice for computer repair: hatchet.

dhlucke

Polypheme
Just built a system with the same MB and had the same problem. Just bend the sensor/diode a bit so that the CPU fits. Just be carefull. No problems here at least.

<font color=red>Ever wonder what it would be like to be eaten alive by a Great White shark?</font color=red>

G

I had to bend the sensor a little on my board too. Try to make sure the sensor interferes just a little bit before you insert your CPU, then (Once you make sure you have no pins bent) apply gentle force when you insert the CPU to bend the sensor the rest of the way. It is important the sensor is physical in contact with the chip carrier to get a good reading. It is also important to have the CPU FULLY INSERTED in the connector before you lock it down.