[SOLVED] Can't get display on new GPU

Enferlain

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2014
Changed my Nvidia card to a 6800xt and I get no display. Card lights up and fans work as well.

I forgot to uninstall the nvidia drivers before but I doubt that would cause it to turn this dumb. (I swapped back old GPU since then and uninstalled it just to be sure, nothing changed)

I cleared CMOS with the button on the Mobo and it said this "vga card is not supported by UEFI driver" (which was probably from resetting bios)

Mobo is dark hero with 3801 bios. I tried enabling csm from a post I saw but it didn't help and now I don't get that screen even when I clear CMOS so can't get into bios.

I think I booted, because NumLock and the other keys seem responsive, but I can't see anything.

Any idea what am I missing?

Solution
Try Hdmi cable, it is odd but have come across DP working after using Hdmi and booting to Windows then change.

Another thing you can try is force pcie 3 in Bios with the Titan and switch cards. You're not using some riser cable? Im not familiar with riser cables but a recent thread i was involved in was apparently in use and limited to pcie3.

Enferlain

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2014
What was the old NVidia card?
What are your system specs....including PSU make model and age?

Previous GPU is titan Xp, PSU is Corsair hx850i, around 3 years old. If I change back to the nvidia card it works normally, that's how I uninstalled the drivers just in case they were causing issues but no luck sadly

Mobo: x570 dark hero
CPU: 3950x

Motherboard shows b2 code but I don't think it's related cuz only difference between display and no display is GPU. If I could get into bios again I'd be a bit happier

How did you uninstall the drivers?
Did you uninstall with DDU in safe mode?
If not....I think this is the best way,
I was curious regarding your PSU.....but now I'm thinking that's probably not the issue.
" "vga card is not supported by UEFI driver" "
<<<<Do you still get this? or was that a one shot deal.

Reactions: Enferlain

itsduhhbzz

Commendable
Sep 21, 2021
Previous GPU is titan Xp, PSU is Corsair hx850i, around 3 years old. If I change back to the nvidia card it works normally, that's how I uninstalled the drivers just in case they were causing issues but no luck sadly

Mobo: x570 dark hero
CPU: 3950x

Motherboard shows b2 code but I don't think it's related cuz only difference between display and no display is GPU. If I could get into bios again I'd be a bit happier

To get to the BIOS have you tried holding F2 before and while you press the power switch? For ROG boards F2 is the hotkey to access it.

Reactions: Enferlain

Enferlain

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2014
How did you uninstall the drivers?
Did you uninstall with DDU in safe mode?
If not....I think this is the best way,
I was curious regarding your PSU.....but now I'm thinking that's probably not the issue.
" "vga card is not supported by UEFI driver" "
<<<<Do you still get this? or was that a one shot deal.

Yeah I used ddu in safe mode. I got that VGA message after I cleared CMOS for the first time but haven't since. I'm still trying to somehow get in and maybe see if I can get hold of something but no luck so far.

My current best guesses are either the displayport cable doesn't like the new card, i messed up a cable connection with the GPU, or screen being dumb for some reason

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Try Hdmi cable, it is odd but have come across DP working after using Hdmi and booting to Windows then change.

Another thing you can try is force pcie 3 in Bios with the Titan and switch cards. You're not using some riser cable? Im not familiar with riser cables but a recent thread i was involved in was apparently in use and limited to pcie3.

Solution

Enferlain

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2014

The riser cable is a very good suspect in that case. I'll try without riser cable and that will pretty much eliminate that idea or answer this case.

Also, tried with a HDMI just now but same result sadly

Enferlain

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2014
Ok now on HDMI randomly resettled CMOS and booted and I'm here, i can get into bios, what do you recommend i definitely change now? Pcie to 3?

WH46h5m_d.webp

Enferlain

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2014

Am I looking at the right thing?
QY4hd9o.jpg

Last edited:

Enferlain

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2014
You are looking at the correct settings if what to try troubleshoot. If that's the new graphics card in without riser then leave it on auto/pcie4 since you're getting a display now.

This is with the riser right now, so I'm going to go with 3 first. If I can boot I'll try on auto again, if it happens again then that was the issue