Question Cant get into BIOS after doing a CMOS reset.

Jun 29, 2020
Hey everyone, so I am fairly new to the whole PC Building stuff but I think I know my fair share of stuff. But since yesterday I found myself in a desperate situation. So I properly build my first pc around February this year and after 5 months of "hardcore" gaming, I wanted to upgrade my drive since it was full.

Now the day before I wanted to change/install the new drive I cleaned my pc for the first time with a compressed air thingy, now I was very careful and I don't think the problem I have has something to do with it but I'm no expert. So anyway a cleaned my pc installed my drive tried to post but it wouldn't. The fans and LEDs would spin and turn on for a sec and then turned off, so me being me I panicked and searched troubleshooting tips on yt and the first one that I thought might help was a CMOS reset. I also before the CMOS unplugged the new drive but that didn't help.

Now I have done the CMOS reset pull out the new drive and I post, I'm glad but now I'm stuck on a post "enter BIOS" screen and I get these errors: "Keyboard not Detected" and something about SATA RAID configuration. Well, the problem is my keyboard is plugged in and since its RGB it lights up so I'm guessing that a sign my ports work but again I could be wrong, it is also lit up when the pc isn't even on (which is weird since I have never experienced that sort of stuff). My Specs are the following: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, MSI VENTUS 2070 Super, ASUS Rog Strix B450-F gaming motherboard, EVGA 650 BQ, Stock Wraith Prism Cooler, 240gb Kingstone SSD, and a 2tb HDD.

I have searched almost everywhere and couldn't find out anything about my issue. Also, I would like to apologize for my English.

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure your keyboard is plugged into one of the two black ports undernearth the PS2 port on the back of the motherboard. If not, move it there.

If that doesn't work, try the blue USB port directly underneath the ROG symbol on the back I/O shield. If that fails to work, you MIGHT have to find somebody with a PS2 keyboard, and plug that into the round PS2 port above the black USB ports. Sometimes, even on the most modern motherboards, some keyboards simply do not want to be detected. I have the same issue every time I reset the CMOS on my Z170 Hero VIII, and have to pull out another, different, USB keyboard, that is more basic in design. Seems like some of the fancier USB keyboards are the ones that have problems.

Jun 29, 2020
Make sure your keyboard is plugged into one of the two black ports undernearth the PS2 port on the back of the motherboard. If not, move it there.

If that doesn't work, try the blue USB port directly underneath the ROG symbol on the back I/O shield. If that fails to work, you MIGHT have to find somebody with a PS2 keyboard, and plug that into the round PS2 port above the black USB ports. Sometimes, even on the most modern motherboards, some keyboards simply do not want to be detected. I have the same issue every time I reset the CMOS on my Z170 Hero VIII, and have to pull out another, different, USB keyboard, that is more basic in design. Seems like some of the fancier USB keyboards are the ones that have problems.
Wow, definitely didn't think my keyboard is the problem, will try it out, thank you very much for the fast response.

I was surprised as well, because I've literally built and worked on hundreds of systems, and never had a similar issue on any of the more recent ones until I did a CMOS reset on my Hero VIII with a different keyboard attached, and had to pull out an older basic USB keyboard to get it to work. But trying different USB ports on the back of the motherboard with the current keyboard is a good idea as well because some ports don't work after a reset until windows loads it's driver framework. Or at least, don't work full featured.

Jun 29, 2020
Hey, so i got a ps/2 keyboard, and tried it but it still cant detect it. Is there something that i have to do, perhaps try doing a another CMOS reset?.

Jun 29, 2020
It's an actual ps/2 keyboard that I found, but it might be dead I tried it on another pc but i can't seem to get it to work, although that might be a windows 10 problem. I will probably try to buy another one just to be sure.

Ok. Well since that didn't work, I think your next step would be the bench test the unit using my guide as a step by step resource.

Jun 29, 2020
Well, I would rather not try to damage it more so I'm going to take it to someone that has the expertise to check it out, anyway, thanks for all the help you provided it was much appreciated, have a nice day.