Question Can't get my Asus router to be in HTTPS

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
I downloaded the router certificate and did the instructions but no matter what I do, it doesn't make the router web UI in HTTPS.

I use Brave and occasionally Firefox and those are the only browers I use. The FAQ that Asus shows does mention chrome and edge but if I'm not mistaken, atleast Brave is based on chromium so it should work still.

Is there anything wrong I did here?

kanewolf

Titan
I downloaded the router certificate and did the instructions but no matter what I do, it doesn't make the router web UI in HTTPS.

I use Brave and occasionally Firefox and those are the only browers I use. The FAQ that Asus shows does mention chrome and edge but if I'm not mistaken, atleast Brave is based on chromium so it should work still.

Is there anything wrong I did here?
Why do you believe it is necessary to have HTTPS on LAN ? I would NOT recommend allowing admin access via WAN even with HTTPS.
If you want admin access via WAN , I recommend using a VPN client. Many Asus routers have VPN servers built-in.

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
Why do you believe it is necessary to have HTTPS on LAN ? I would NOT recommend allowing admin access via WAN even with HTTPS.
If you want admin access via WAN , I recommend using a VPN client. Many Asus routers have VPN servers built-in.

But everytime i log in to the web ui of the router it says its recommended to run in https.

Are you saying that its not required? Why is that?

I think this might be the browser being overly picky. I suspect this is related to the locally generated certificates. These certificates can't be validated by the central servers.....you do not own the IP and have not registered a domain. In theory someone could spoof the certificate and do a man in the middle attack. Extremely unlikely for someone wanting access to a home consumer router to go to that extreme. It still prevent someone from intercepting and looking at the traffic. So if you were using a open wifi system it should still be encrypted.

Not sure private certificates I think I just always tell it to ignore this warning and it uses the certificate.

I tend to always use VPN to get remote access. It tends to have fewer holes. It was not that long ago that asus had a major bug that allowed remote access to routers.