Can't get past the "Starting Windows" screen with an used HDD with W7 on it!

SirLordChris

Commendable
Aug 3, 2016
After accidentaly wiping completly clean my 1TB HDD with Windows 7 on it, I bought an used one, that came with Windows 7 on it.

Problem is, I get past the BIOS screen, then to the "Starting Windows" one, and the little Windows 7 lights appear for a second, then freeze, and it takes me back in a loop to the BIOS screen, now with a "Windows Error Recovery" screen in between.

I checked diskpart, and it sees the drive and its volumes. And I can acces the contents from Image Restore, so that seems ok.

From what I can gather from the man I bought the HDD from, it should work, but I need to do a partition? Or something along those lines. (He seems trustworthy and offered my money back, but I want to try to get the HDD working)

Safe Mode doesn't appear to be working either.

Also, I don't have any installation disk or anything, so that's out of the question.

Thank you for reading anyone and everyone that got this far, have a great day!

Solution
The installation of Windows that is on the used disk likely is the culprit. When windows was installed on that hard drive, it also included drivers for the specific motherboard and other components of the system which it was installed. With near absolute certainty, that is the issue. Reinstalling windows is the way to fix this. You can obtain installation media (win7.iso) directly from Microsoft.

theyeti87

Honorable
The installation of Windows that is on the used disk likely is the culprit. When windows was installed on that hard drive, it also included drivers for the specific motherboard and other components of the system which it was installed. With near absolute certainty, that is the issue. Reinstalling windows is the way to fix this. You can obtain installation media (win7.iso) directly from Microsoft.

Solution

SirLordChris

Commendable
Aug 3, 2016
Wow,thank you so much for the quick replies!

Yeah I thought that might be the case, but I hoped someone might know a way to get it working without having to wipe it and get Windows reinstalled.

I didn't know about the win7.iso thing though, I'll go check it out now.

theyeti87

Honorable

I typed win7.iso for a generic file name XD

That aside, you absolutely can download the installation media for Windows, legitimately from Microsoft.

SirLordChris

Commendable
Aug 3, 2016
@bignastyid

Haha yeah I didn't realize how the Windows on the HDD might be system specific :p
Thankfully it was really cheap, and I was looking for more storage space for a couple of months, so it's not all bad!

As for a key, I lost mine a couple of years ago when I first got this PC, and the guy I got the HDD from didn't give me any, so I assume he doesn't have one.

@theyeti87

I thought that sounded too specific xD

bignastyid

Titan

Without the key you are hosed, you will have to buy a new license/key if you want to use Windows 7.

SirLordChris

Commendable
Aug 3, 2016
Yep, thought as much now :l

Thanks a bunch everyone for your time and support though! I gave the solution to @theyeti87 since he was almost first and laid out the problem the best.

Probably should have kept the money for a W7 key, but hey extra storage space is ok too!

bignastyid

Titan
You could run win 10 unregistered till you can afford to buy a key. After the trial period win 10 only disables some personalisation features and nags to be activated. Other than that it will run and update normally from what I have seen. Downloading win 10 from Microsoft does not require you to have a key.

SirLordChris

Commendable
Aug 3, 2016
Oh I completely forgot about Win 10! I didn't know about the trial either, so that really helps. I'll download that as soon as I can, as I'm PC-less for 4-days straight now.

Thanks for the great idea dude!