Can't get Russian language interface

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 8, 2018
I get a typical problem of seeing Question Marks and Gibberish when opening Russian File Texts. The solution for me though did not work (to install the language pack). I have all of the Russian Language Packs installed, and whenever I try to install a Russian Game or Mod for the game or still open a file, it still shows question marks and gibberish. I have searched but found no other solutions besides the "Control Panel / Setlings, Region, Add / Install Language" which I have done. What else can I do so that Russian will properly display (and thus install) my programs?

Sometimes half of it shows, like an installer shows the intructions, but "Next" and "Cancel" is also ???, as well as when it comes to choose extraction point, it extracts the file names at ????.exe instead of game.exe (in Russian).

Reactions: Leterel
This is because (most) text files are encoded (in your case) with eg KOI-8 encoding, and there's no information in the file itself that his is Cyrillic character.

A long time ago there was a very good Windows utility called Shtirlitz by Vsevolod Lukianin (Щирлиц , Всеволод Лукьянин), and it was able to re-encode between many different code pages.

For starter - configure your Windows with Russian Language support, and choose "Non-Unicode support" to be also Russian:

Control Panel -> Language -> Advanced Settings, "Apply Language Settings to the welcome screnn..."
From there "Region": Change System Locale,"Region Settings", "Current System Locale: Russian". You'll probably have to restart

Reactions: Leterel
Status
Not open for further replies.