Can't get the system to fully work

Oct 1, 2018
My 12 year wanted to build his own PC so we did. He picked out all the components, and I assisted with the building.

Motherboard #1, Aorus H370 wifi, was defective with 5 beeps at power on, would not see the graphics card in the PCI-E slot, wouldn't see the M2 memory, etc. Checked bios, drivers, same issues. So we replaced it.

Motherboard #2: same remaining two problems (no graphics card or M2 visible).
Gave up on the H370 and ordered a Z370 wifi. Installed it, boots fine, but same problems (no graphics card, no m2), and in addition the wifi doesn't work at all.

Booted the system into linux and there's no wifi hardware visible, nor is the GPU card visible. The bluetooth portion works and it's part of the same chipset so I know it's not physically missing.

I find it hard to believe that 3 motherboards in a row could be defective. All the other components are new, matched and wired correctly. We tried several bios settings, loading the latest drivers (in windows) and also reset the CMOS. Also have tried the other PCIE slot. Arg.

Gave up on that board and installed an Asus Prime Z370-A instead. It boots fine with the GPU, screen comes right up. Drivers installed. Progress. However...

I still have 2 problems:
1) TPLink wifi card in PCI-E 1x slot is not seen. Card works fine in every other system.
2) M2 SSD isn't seen in either motherboard slot. But it's a PCI-E device so I suspect problem is related to #1 above.

I suspect something related to PCI lanes but even with the graphics card out, the above 2 problems are still there. Should I need to change something in the BIOS to be able to use a basic PCI slot?

Other build details: It's an Intel 8th gen i7-8700 processor, 32Gb RAM,16x2 slots. WD 3Tb Blue SATA. Power supply is TT Smart 650w.

Thanks!

The only thing that stops M2 working properly is not being slotted in properly. To know this is exactly in line with the screws, nothing is off, it really has to be accurately in.
Or the other thing, it is not the motherboard, but a faulty M2 which is causing problems when its plugged into the mobo

Oct 1, 2018

Memory is not the issue, but Viper DDR4 2666Mhz CL16 1.2V 16Gb x2 in slots 1/3.

M2 is correctly installed. tried both slots. I really think this is a PCI lane sharing issue but I'm not sure.

with any motherboard you first have to make sure it has the newest bios on it. a lot of bios now fix gpu and m2 issues. on any mb you have to install the intel chipet and mei drivers for gpu and m2/sata to work. with m2 drives when use read the mb guild they can turn off some sata and pci slot due to the min pci lanes on intel mb. in the bios make sure the slot your using is turned on by default some slots are turned off on asus mb to save pci lanes. also check the mb guild some video slots and pci slots will share lanes/ram so you may have ot move add in cards. in the bios you may have to turn off siirial/printer ports to free up irq.

I can't see how its a PCI Lane issue, because this is mainly built in to the system and I have never heard of anyone having a pci lane problem before like this.

I still believe its a faulty M2.

Oct 1, 2018
I ordered another M2 card to see if makes any difference. I'm confident it won't.
Edit - 2nd card is not seen either. Updated the BIOS to latest version, made no difference.