Question Can't get to BIOS after boot

Apr 10, 2020
Not long ago I decided to make my first build for a desktop and ordered the components:

-Asus Prime X570-P ATX motherboard;

-GraphicsCard MSI GeForce RTX 2070 Ventus 8G;

-SSD M.2 2280 Western Digital Blue SN550 1TB 3D NAND NVMe;

-ATX Box MSI MAG Forge 100M Black.

-AMD Ryzen 7 processor 3700X 8-Core (3.6GHz-4.4GHz) 36MB AM4;

-Team Group Kit 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz Dark Z Red CL16;

-BitFenix Formula 650W 80+ Gold font.

After assembling the components in the box and reviewing the connections several times according to the manuals of the various components, I can't even reach the BIOS page and I get stuck on the motherboard manufacturer's (ASUS) page with the message: press f2 or delete to go to uefi bios.

I also have a keyboard connected to the USB input and I tried to click on the keys but without success. The keyboard is receiving power from the motherboard and I have already tested it with two keyboards that work on other machines. I have already reviewed all the connections on the motherboard, I have removed the connections from unnecessary leds, I have removed and put all the components and I have tried to connect the machine with just one ram and even in the slots contrary to those indicated in the motherboard manual. I also didn't see any LEDs on the motherboard that indicate a component malfunction. I also checked that all the fans for the various components are operational. Only when I removed the two rams did the monitor not receive an image and the printer started to ventilate with more power.

Finally, I remembered to look on the ASUS and TeamGroup website if there would be compatibility between the motherboard and the rams. However, I noticed that the name of the rams is not on the list of compatible rams that was updated on 07/23/2019. I really need your help to understand if it is a compatibility problem between the rams and the motherboard that I ordered or if it could be from another component. If the compatibility problem is not verified I would like you to help me understand what the problem with my build may be, if possible. This is my first build, I spent 1500 euros in total with the various components + monitor and I'm not even getting to the BIOS.

Can anyone help me?

Your problem has nothing to do with RAM. If it was a memory issue, you wouldn't even see that message to press F2 or delete to enter the BIOS.

WHAT USB ports are you connecting the keyboard to?

It might be necessary to bench the motherboard.

Apr 10, 2020
Your problem has nothing to do with RAM. If it was a memory issue, you wouldn't even see that message to press F2 or delete to enter the BIOS.

WHAT USB ports are you connecting the keyboard to?

It might be necessary to bench the motherboard.

Thank you for your short reply. Could it be another compatibility issue with the SSD per instance? I tried to connect the keyboards to the usb2.0 and to the others usb3.1 and usb3.2 but with no success. The motherboard only recognises (gives power to the keyboard) when I start the machine with the keyboard in the usb. If I remove it when the machine is on and then reconnect it, the keyboard won't get power (to the LEDs in a Asus cerberus or to the num lock key light in a Dell keyboard)

Could be CPU compatibility. The CPU you have required a BIOS later than the version the board originally came with (when first released). Looks like that BIOS came out around July of last year. On the main page that the board does show, does it show you the version number of the BIOS? Should be somewhere between 0602 and 1407.

There are LITERALLY three days between version 0602 and version 0804, with any in between versions coming during those days. So unless his motherboard was literally one of the first boards shipped out, which is incredibly unlikely, then it should have a BIOS version that supports that CPU. Plus, that is only support SPECIFICALLY for some features of the 3700x. The actual architecture itself, is supported on any version of that board's BIOS so basic function should be there regardless of which version it has.

Plus, if it was not supported, there would not be any on screen message to press F2 or Delete to enter the BIOS. There would simply be "no signal detected". So it is not a BIOS version issue, at least not in regard to the CPU itself. Maybe in regard to something else, but that too is somewhat doubtful.

As for it being some kind of compatibility issue with the SSD, I would doubt it, but it's probably a good idea to remove the SSD, and disconnect any other drives, to see if you can get into the BIOS that way.

Another thing to try is connecting the keyboard to a rear USB 2.0 header, do not use front panel headers at this time, and then do a hard reset of the BIOS. Make sure that for now you have only ONE memory module installed and that it is installed in the A2 slot, closest to the edge of the motherboard.

BIOS Hard Reset procedure

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes, press the power button on the case for 30 seconds. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP, A-XMP or D.O.C.P profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary when you go into the BIOS after a reset, to load the Optimal default or Default values and then save settings, to actually get the hardware tables to reset in the boot manager.

It is probably also worth mentioning that for anything that might require an attempt to DO a hard reset in the first place, IF the problem is related to a lack of video signal, it is a GOOD IDEA to try a different type of display as many systems will not work properly for some reason with displayport configurations. It is worth trying HDMI if you are having no display or lack of visual ability to enter the BIOS, or no signal messages.

Apr 10, 2020
Could be CPU compatibility. The CPU you have required a BIOS later than the version the board originally came with (when first released). Looks like that BIOS came out around July of last year. On the main page that the board does show, does it show you the version number of the BIOS? Should be somewhere between 0602 and 1407.

How can I check the version of my motherboard BIOS if I cant even get to BIOS?

Apr 10, 2020
There are LITERALLY three days between version 0602 and version 0804, with any in between versions coming during those days. So unless his motherboard was literally one of the first boards shipped out, which is incredibly unlikely, then it should have a BIOS version that supports that CPU. Plus, that is only support SPECIFICALLY for some features of the 3700x. The actual architecture itself, is supported on any version of that board's BIOS so basic function should be there regardless of which version it has.

Plus, if it was not supported, there would not be any on screen message to press F2 or Delete to enter the BIOS. There would simply be "no signal detected". So it is not a BIOS version issue, at least not in regard to the CPU itself. Maybe in regard to something else, but that too is somewhat doubtful.

As for it being some kind of compatibility issue with the SSD, I would doubt it, but it's probably a good idea to remove the SSD, and disconnect any other drives, to see if you can get into the BIOS that way.

Another thing to try is connecting the keyboard to a rear USB 2.0 header, do not use front panel headers at this time, and then do a hard reset of the BIOS. Make sure that for now you have only ONE memory module installed and that it is installed in the A2 slot, closest to the edge of the motherboard.

BIOS Hard Reset procedure

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes, press the power button on the case for 30 seconds. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP, A-XMP or D.O.C.P profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary when you go into the BIOS after a reset, to load the Optimal default or Default values and then save settings, to actually get the hardware tables to reset in the boot manager.

It is probably also worth mentioning that for anything that might require an attempt to DO a hard reset in the first place, IF the problem is related to a lack of video signal, it is a GOOD IDEA to try a different type of display as many systems will not work properly for some reason with displayport configurations. It is worth trying HDMI if you are having no display or lack of visual ability to enter the BIOS, or no signal messages.

I already tried everything from the keyboard on usb2.0 or the ssd removed. The only option left is the "BIOS Hard Reset procedure".

How can I check the version of my motherboard BIOS if I cant even get to BIOS?
What all is on the Asus boot page (a camera pic might help here)?

Also, if you haven't already, make sure your keyboard is plugged into one of the USB 2.0 headers on the BACK PANEL:

AMD X570 chipset :
5 x USB 2.0 port(s) (2 at back panel, , 3 at mid-board)
* The USB ports under the LAN port can run at USB 3.2 Gen 2 speeds with 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ Processors

And you may have done so already according to your post above, just making sure.

Apr 10, 2020

Also, if you haven't already, make sure your keyboard is plugged into one of the USB 2.0 headers on the BACK PANEL:

AMD X570 chipset :
* The USB ports under the LAN port can run at USB 3.2 Gen 2 speeds with 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ Processors

And you may have done so already according to your post above, just making sure.

AMD X570 chipset :

Already plugged the keyboard to the rear usb2.0.
This is the image and only page that is shown after I boot the machine. View: https://imgur.com/GlKaRkG

Got it. Unfortunately, I cannot find anything in the guide mentioning a way to get rid of the splash screen from outside of the BIOS (mine does the same). I real pitty if there is an error code behind the image, but you can't see it.

Do you have a case or portable speaker plugged into the speaker connected on the speaker connector on the motherboard?

Sorry man, really, but that made me laugh. I don't know why, since it's just a simple misspelling, but it did. It's a pity there isn't much else to laugh ABOUT right now in this world. Thanks for that.

I'd RMA the motherboard or return it. There's only so many things that can be to blame. If you find any bent pins on the CPU when you disassemble it for return, then you'll know it wasn't the motherboard to blame. Otherwise, it's about 99% likely that it is.

Apr 15, 2020
Hi, I have this mobo and the same problems after long search all people with this mobo have the exact same problem with the exact same ssd sn550 WD when I disconnect the ssd I can access to BIOS and the keyboard work I wait to install Windows because I don't want to install on my HDD I don't know if I help u and sorry for my english I'm french

Apr 17, 2020
Hello all. I got the same issue with the Asus prime x570 and the SSD 550sn WD. To correct disconnect all drive and flash the bios to 1407. I was on the 1005 version but after the bios update the nvme drive was detected. To flash the bios go to: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/PRIME-X570-P/HelpDesk_Download/ and chose the bios files. Transfert it to a empty usb key (it easier to find your files) boot mother board with only your ram cpu and graphique card a monitor and a keyboards connect, it should load directly to the bios. Then press f7 to go to the advance settings. Go to tool. Connect your usb key. Select Asus ez update and flash your bios from a internal source. Once the bios is flash connect your ssd and it should work.

Apr 17, 2020
Also the Asus tool have a options for flash the bios directly form internet. I never try it but it could be useful if you don't have access to another computer for download the bios.

Hello all. I got the same issue with the Asus prime x570 and the SSD 550sn WD. To correct disconnect all drive and flash the bios to 1407. I was on the 1005 version but after the bios update the nvme drive was detected. To flash the bios go to: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/PRIME-X570-P/HelpDesk_Download/ and chose the bios files. Transfert it to a empty usb key (it easier to find your files) boot mother board with only your ram cpu and graphique card a monitor and a keyboards connect, it should load directly to the bios. Then press f7 to go to the advance settings. Go to tool. Connect your usb key. Select Asus ez update and flash your bios from a internal source. Once the bios is flash connect your ssd and it should work.

Obviously you didn't read the thread, and missed the part where he indicated that "he can't even GET TO the BIOS", so there is no way he can flash the BIOS, since this board does not have BIOS flashback. No POST means no updating is possible.

Apr 17, 2020
Obviously you didn't read the thread, and missed the part where he indicated that "he can't even GET TO the BIOS", so there is no way he can flash the BIOS, since this board does not have BIOS flashback. No POST means no updating is possible.
Have you boot the motherboard without any hard drive connect ( nmve or sata)? I was stuck at the page press f2 or delete for enter the bios like you if the ssd was connect, but without any drive connect I was able to load the bios.

Last edited:
Disconnecting the drives would be part of the benching procedure, which is the first thing I posted. If that wasn't done, then the advised steps were not followed, in which case, I can't do much about a failure to follow instructions, but I have to assume they DID do that which would mean that yes they had disconnected the drives. If not, then I'd agree that it SHOULD be tried.

Apr 17, 2020
Disconnecting the drives would be part of the benching procedure, which is the first thing I posted. If that wasn't done, then the advised steps were not followed, in which case, I can't do much about a failure to follow instructions, but I have to assume they DID do that which would mean that yes they had disconnected the drives. If not, then I'd agree that it SHOULD be tried.
Yes, and you were pretty clear on your BIOS Hard Reset procedure, I was just insisting on letting the drive disconnect, not just unplug and plug back as someone could have done by reading rapidly your post. Like I say I got the same issue yesterday and fortunately for me the bios have loads after I remove all the drive so flashing it was feasible.

TRENDING THREADS