Can't get USB 2.0 on Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe

I cannot get USB 2.0 to work with my A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard. I
have Windows XP with SP2 installed. Just today I downloaded the latest
nVidia drivers and installed those. Still, every time I plug in my USB
key (a San Sisk Micro Cruzer which is USB 2.0) I get a warning saying
that I will get better performance if i plug it into a USB 2.0 port.
I've searched the web and groups but haven't found any solutions to
this problem. Oh I forgot, yes it's set to 1.1+2.0 in the BIOS! And
I flashed the bios when I got the mb, which was probably about 4 months
ago. I'd be very grateful if anyone has any suggestions. Filling up
my USB drive at 1.0 speeds is so slow, I have time to take a shower
while it's copying..

-Michael

Dino

is that plugging it into the USB on the backing plate?....if so try the
add-on bkt and see if it is USB 2.0

Dino

this is straight from the Nvidia site...

a.. Windows XP users must install Service Pack 1, at a minimum, prior to
attempting to install this package. Failure to do so will result in the
inability to support USB 2.0.

the only other time I have seen something like this was on my own
system...and that was due to a corrupt install of XP..none of my Gart,SMBus
or ethernet installed correctly..

I figured it out! I went in device manager and removed all my USB
devices including controllers and rebooted. They were re-detected
after reboot as USB 2.0 devices, which was confirmed by the word
"enhanced" in the name.

Oddly enough, the write speed on my usb flash drive is not much faster.
:(

Thanks!
Michael

Ed

On 29 Dec 2004 23:39:24 -0800, newsbirdie@hotmail.com wrote:

>I figured it out! I went in device manager and removed all my USB
>devices including controllers and rebooted. They were re-detected
>after reboot as USB 2.0 devices, which was confirmed by the word
>"enhanced" in the name.
>
>Oddly enough, the write speed on my usb flash drive is not much faster.
:mad:

If it's a USB 2.0 device it should be a lot faster.
I see about a 7x speed increase transferring files.

Ed

>Thanks!
>Michael

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Ed wrote:

>On 29 Dec 2004 23:39:24 -0800, newsbirdie@hotmail.com wrote:
>

>>I figured it out! I went in device manager and removed all my USB
>>devices including controllers and rebooted. They were re-detected
>>after reboot as USB 2.0 devices, which was confirmed by the word
>>"enhanced" in the name.
>>
>>Oddly enough, the write speed on my usb flash drive is not much faster.
>:mad:
>>

>If it's a USB 2.0 device it should be a lot faster.
>I see about a 7x speed increase transferring files.
>
>Ed
>

>>Thanks!
>>Michael

Michael,
I'd try reloading any software associated with the drive, as it may have
down-regulated itself when it originally installed and only saw USB 1.1
at that time. Seems you should have seen some improvement, as Ed said.
Just a shot!!
Rob