[SOLVED] Can't get Windows 10 installed on Asus Tuf 505 laptop

Apr 17, 2020
Hi all...

I'm having a funny sort of issue I've never had some trouble with...

I am trying to install an official Microsoft Windows 10-64bit usb flash drive on to the boot drive. But there is no boot order and the couple of times the win10 usb drive worked it failed.

How can I install/boot into a asus laptop?

It has one 2tb M.2 NVMe SSD and one 2.5" 2tb SATA SSD. Is there a secret combination of keys I need to hit in order to get the USB flash drive to work?

Solution
sorry I am slow to reply, I had a GPU die on me on Monday and have been without a PC for a few days.

Did you try Boot override as it should boot off the USB regardless of anything being in boot order.

you may need to reset bios. Or update it if you are on an older one. It might help.

Colif

Win 11 Master
your laptop has one of my fav menu choices in the bios, Boot Override.

put USB into machine before start up
go into bios
go to save & exit tab
pick Boot override
choose the USB from list and press enter
PC will restart and boot from USB this one time, on next starts it will go back to normal boot order.

use that everytime you want to boot off USB
its shown on page 69 here but it doesn't tell you what choice does. - https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/GamingNB/FX505GD/E14679_FX505GD_GE_GM_V3_A.pdf

Apr 17, 2020
Thanks but the problem I'm having is I may have two 2tb drives m.2 and sata. But all the computer does now is boot to the bios screen. There is nothing in the boot order and it will not allow me to create new items.

Anyone else no how to get around installing windows from a MS Win 10 usb key to the new m.2 installation ssd (2tb)?

Colif

Win 11 Master
so how did installer fail?
does it run but not see any drives on PC?

boot order will be empty as there are no drives on PC with windows installed on them yet. It doesn't see blank drives there.

problem I have is the manual for your laptop doesn't really show me what menus you have in bios, its possible the m.2 show on a storage menu instead of showing under any sata connection, for instance.

I might move thread to laptop tech area, it might get the right people there :)

Apr 17, 2020
Hi. The first main boot drive is a m.2 2tb adata xpg. The second drive is a sata 2.5" samsung 2tb drive.

I have windows10 on a usb key it should boot from the usb port and turn win10 setup.

But what actually happens is it just goes right back into the bios menu everytime e it buys. At least. Before I was getting a grub menu of some sort. The m.2 is brand new ssd. How can I fix this laptop. I have a request into bestbuy.com to drop off the item to their tech support but it wont be until the 24th just for the scheduled drop off.

I thought it be simple... just configure the bios to launch from usb drive. No go.

Colif

Win 11 Master
sorry I am slow to reply, I had a GPU die on me on Monday and have been without a PC for a few days.

Did you try Boot override as it should boot off the USB regardless of anything being in boot order.

you may need to reset bios. Or update it if you are on an older one. It might help.

Solution