Can't get Windows 10 to boot from USB or Hard Disk

Jun 25, 2018
I have an MSI GL series laptop (https://www.bestbuy.com/site/msi-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-1tb-hard-drive-256gb-solid-state-drive-aluminum-black/6211744.p?skuId=6211744). I had it for a year and it died on me the other day, but my friend and I are able to access BIOS and a few splash screens before it stops functioning.

We have a purchased USB with a fresh copy of Win10 on it so we tried using that.

We also tried using a formatted USB using the Windows Media Creation Tool.

The first error I received was: Check cable connection! PXE-MOF: Exiting Intel PXE-ROM. No bootable device - - insert boot disk and press any key

This meant that my load order was screwed up. So I rearranged the boot order so that my USB was first priority.

We tried a lot of combinations of load order and under different boot modes (legacy, UEFI, UEFI with CSM). We managed to get rid of the PXE-ROM error, and we ended up getting past the BIOS into a few splash screens. The first splash that pops up is MSI screen. Then a Windows screen. And that's where it usually turns into an endless black screen with no cursor.

We hit 3 different outcomes with every combination.

1. When booting the USB Hard Disk with top priority under UEIF or UEIF with CSM, the MSI Splash would pop up, an icon would start spinning, then after a while it would result in BSoD with UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME error.

2. When the Hard Disk was top priority under UEIF or UEIF with CSM, the MSI Splash would pop up, icon would start spinning, then after a shorter while it would end in an endless black screen with no cursor.

3. When we booted the Hard Disk or the USB Hard Disk under LEGACY mode, the MSI Splash would pop up and pass, then the light blue Windows icon would pop up with a little spinner. After 6 seconds of spinning, the screen would result in an endless black screen.

The computer was able to detect all storage connections, but we have had no success.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)