Question Can't get windows on my M.2 drive

Mar 19, 2021
I've tried to clone my HDD (ran into sector size mismatch error, 4096 v 512).

I'm trying to fresh install windows now and my M.2 NVME SSD disappears from my boot devices with CSM disabled. It's formatted as GPT.

The windows installer media gets stuck in a restart loop.

If I enable csm after running the installer, it pops up but if i boot to it the motherboard tells me to install a proper boot device.

I'm just trying to get some windows installation on this ssd, whether it be fresh or a clone of my current. Any tips?

Mar 19, 2021
Why doesn't a fresh install work?

It doesn't make it to step 9. It gets stuck in a boot loop there if I leave the USB in.

Mar 19, 2021
At Step 9, the Age of Cortana...possibly remove the USB and see if it continues?

Or, try a different USB port.

What are the parts to this system?
Ryzen 3 2200G
Gigabyte A320M-S2H
Inland Premium 512GB NVME SSD
Random 8GB Flash Drive

I tried removing it the flash drive after it gets to the rebooting, and swapped between front/rear port. My issue at that point is my bios no longer recognizes my M.2 ssd unless CMS is enabled. And if CMS is enabled, I get an error telling me to input a proper boot device.

Mar 19, 2021
Are your sure your boot order is right and that the M2 isn't "hiding"?

I would try:

Update Bios or restore to defaults
Try new USB stick
Try different USB port
Unhook all over SATA and M2 drives.
Have you changed any hardware?
I can try updating my bios later, I don't have another USB drive. I've removed/re-added all other drives. No other hardware has changed, all I'm trying to do is get windows installed/booting on my ssd.

Mar 19, 2021
Can you make a video with you cell phone and post a link, I feel like I'm missing where its boot looping........
This is a bit easier for me as I have a few games installed on the SSD at the moment and don't really want to re-format until I have another decent solution.

(Not my images, but shows my issue):
So the Windows installer goes through this stage
xUXZUue.png

Then it tells me it needs to restart like this:
jHMvVQG.png

Then the SSD no longer shows up in boot devices so it restarts back into the Windows USB installer (as there's no SSD to boot into). The SSD does show the windows files from the install (SSD files + some games/programs i've installed there since):
DEzhF2y.png

sonofjesse

Distinguished
So if you pull out the USB stick it just says no boot media? (cause it don't see the M2 drive?)

Have you tried the reinstall with the network unplugged? I was wondering on that doing updates, if its pulling a driver update that is doing something funky?

I have reinstalled windows a lot, and never ran into this exact issue peronsally.

Mar 19, 2021
So if you pull out the USB stick it just says no boot media? (cause it don't see the M2 drive?)

Have you tried the reinstall with the network unplugged? I was wondering on that doing updates, if its pulling a driver update that is doing something funky?

I have reinstalled windows a lot, and never ran into this exact issue peronsally.

I tried installing with networking off previously, so that's not it.

If I pull the USB without changing any settings, it takes me to my bios (the M.2 isn't there) and it automatically takes me there.
If I enabled CSM and restart, the M.2 pops up in my boot devices but won't boot (I think it needs CSM off to actually boot)