Cant install Cooler master Vortex 211P on LGA 1155

hasangola420

Prominent
Dec 5, 2017
Hi, I just bought Cooler master Vortex 211P but I cant insert it into the socket. I have an hp pro 2nd, 3rd gen lga 1155 motherboard. the 4 holes where the cooler is inserted has screw holder like rings where the screw goes is, I guess those are blocking the thumbpins of the cooler. please I could use some help. THANKS!!

Solution
I have done this before:

The socket they leave behind has threads, usually standard M3 screws (the finer thread standard PC screw)

Order a new cooler for LGA 115x that uses a hard mount. Something like the Deepcool Gammaxx 400 (shown below) is a good option if there is enough room. But basically any cooler that just clamps down on the four corners. Typically they have you run a backplate with threaded posts and cooler is secured with nuts/thumbscrews.

Go to a hardware store, get some long m3 screws and several sizes of washer.

Install the cooler like this: https://i.imgur.com/8Wvewcv.jpg

So that is a Dell backplate, with some long shaft M3 screws holding down the cooler. I used large nuts as washers, since I didn't ave anything...

finitekosmos

Prominent
Dec 24, 2017
This may sound a little cheeky, and I do apologise if it does, because it is meant to help.

Many after market coolers support installation in several different types of CPU socket. However most CPU sockets are shaped/sized differently and as a result, aftermarket cooler products come with a range of fittings to suit various boards and sockets. I have checked the Cooler Master site to see which sockets this cooler supports, and it does list the 1155 as one of them.

This is also complicated by the fact that some systems retailers (like HP) also design some of their motherboards with non-standard fittings. The only way to really determine this is to check the Cooler, and make sure that you have selected the right fittings for the socket as directed in the instructions. If the Cooler does not fit then your next best chance is to contact HP directly to see if they can supply you with a cooler that is designed for their motherboard.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If it is the push-pin style then it supports LGA1155, only other cooler that uses push pins is the LGA1366 and it is too new to have that socket.

Typically what you will find in OEM PCs is a custom backplate that would need to be removed prior to installing a new cooler. That means the motherboard is going to have to come out so you can remove that.

Small warning, on Dell computers, they integrated the backplate and the CPU socket, so they aren't exactly easy to deal with. Not sure about HP. They do tend to use M3 threads, so you can sometimes adapt coolers to use the existing bracket, but not so much for push-pin installation.

hasangola420

Prominent
Dec 5, 2017
As you said, their are 3 more screws at the back of the plate that are a part of the socket. I have to remove the latch that holds the CPU to remove the backplate. So, thats it I guess? I have to get another board?

hasangola420

Prominent
Dec 5, 2017

As you said, their are 3 more screws at the back of the plate that are a part of the socket. I have to remove the latch that holds the CPU to remove the backplate. So, thats it I guess? I have to get another board?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I have done this before:

The socket they leave behind has threads, usually standard M3 screws (the finer thread standard PC screw)

Order a new cooler for LGA 115x that uses a hard mount. Something like the Deepcool Gammaxx 400 (shown below) is a good option if there is enough room. But basically any cooler that just clamps down on the four corners. Typically they have you run a backplate with threaded posts and cooler is secured with nuts/thumbscrews.

Go to a hardware store, get some long m3 screws and several sizes of washer.

Install the cooler like this: https://i.imgur.com/8Wvewcv.jpg

So that is a Dell backplate, with some long shaft M3 screws holding down the cooler. I used large nuts as washers, since I didn't ave anything quite the right size.

Other coolers that should also work. Deepcool Gammaxx 300, Cryorig H7, Cryorig M9i, Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212.

Solution