Question Can't install heatsink onto motherboard - Noctua NH-D15, MSI Z87-G45 - screws are too far between

virtusbradder

Commendable
Sep 17, 2017
I'm trying to install the D15 cooler onto my MSI Z87-G45, everything is installed as far as the backplate, spacers and brackets, but I can't get both screw both of the spring-loaded screws on the heatsink into the brackets.

Here's a picture: View: https://imgur.com/a/HwvL3N2

The screw is multiple millimeters away from the bolt, and the other screw on the other side is not even in
I've taken everything apart multiple times now and it's driving me crazy. Apparently it's a common problem with the D15 (since there's so many posts), but all of them resolved it by applying more force, and the force I would have to apply would probably break the MB.

Any help is very appreciated!

The mounting bars installed: View: https://imgur.com/a/AL0u4Ij

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
You need to loosen up the other side - only have it around one rotation, just enough to hold it on one side, that'll give you enough flex to get the second side down.

I've owned/reapplied D15's for years, and it is common - once you go past a couple of rotations on one side.

virtusbradder

Commendable
Sep 17, 2017
#2 - The other side is completely loose. I haven't tightened either of them, and even then the screw is still off.

NM-IMB3 brackets, LGA1150 CPU. The other smaller brackets that are also included are for AMD. There's 2 possible positions in the IMB3 brackets, and only 1 of the positions will let the bracket correctly sit on the screws sticking up from the MB. I'm completely lost for ideas...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Everything looks to be mounted correctly - and you can't really go wrong. If the posts align & the cross bars fit (they can only fit in one combination of holes per socket), then you should be fine.

If it's not lining up at all, then you need to secure one side a little bit. If you're not even remotely secured on the other side, then the cooler isn't lined up properly. Once you have one side secured (just barely), you should be fine...