[SOLVED] Can't install i9-10850k into Asus Maximus XII Hero mobo.

arthurrag

Honorable
Aug 24, 2014
I have a new CPU and mobo. Asus Maximus XII Hero. The CPU box says LGA 1200, the mobo box says LGA 1200 but the cpu does not go into the socket. I line up the gold triangle with the corner that has the gold dot. There is not a point on the mobo that has a triangle. It does not drop in. There are two pin like protrusions in the socket as there are on the cpu substrate but they are on opposite sides from lining up. Even if they did line up the cpu does not sit properly in the socket.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Art

Solution
Hi,
I determined that the cpu was actually an i7-2700K. A person on a different site directed me to that. I brought it back to the store and replacement was no problem but it took some bitching to get them to replace my mobo which I had not bought there. A couple pins were tweaked a little. They ran it through POST ok but I was like...what about overclocking and hyper threading? Anyway, it is resolved now.

arthurrag

Honorable
Aug 24, 2014
Hi,
I determined that the cpu was actually an i7-2700K. A person on a different site directed me to that. I brought it back to the store and replacement was no problem but it took some bitching to get them to replace my mobo which I had not bought there. A couple pins were tweaked a little. They ran it through POST ok but I was like...what about overclocking and hyper threading? Anyway, it is resolved now.

Solution
alas, what some sods do is order product A for $600, take it, substitute (possibly after a delid to make it look good) with a 5-8 year old $32 CPU, which is subsequently sold to....well, you. :)

Glad they took it back, and swapped your mainboard.

GOod luck!