Question Can't install or uninstall java?

Aug 24, 2019
Hi all,

I've been having some problems with java recently. Long story short, some conflicts happened, and now I can't uninstall or reinstall java on my PC. I keep on getting the usual error 1603 when trying to reinstall java with either online or offline versions. I tried using java's utility to remove old java versions, and the software claims that there are no active version of java on my PC. After checking my program files, all the java files and everything are still present in my PC, but to further suggest that something is wrong, when I search for java under my list of installed programs, nothing java related shows up. As per a java suggestion, I tried manually removing some java code from my windows directory in an attempt to help clean install but I'm still getting error 1603 when trying to install after what was believed to be a 'complete removal of java'. Any ideas on how I could tackle this?

Thanks

P.S. this post is written in the sake of minecraft so I decided to put this in PC gaming... if this belongs in software or something else I'd be happy to move it

Try this method/workaround:

Disable Java content through the Java Control Panel......This option disables Java content in the browser prior to installing.
  1. Once you see the 1603 error, close the installer.
  2. Find and launch the Java Control Panel
  3. Uncheck (de-select) Enable Java content in the browser option
    • In the Java Control Panel, click the Security tab.
    • Uncheck the option Enable Java content in the browser.
    • Click Apply and then OK to confirm the changes.
  4. Reinstall Java and re-enable Java content in the browser
    • Download and install the offline installer package.
    • After the installation has completed, re-enable the option to Enable Java content in the browser, if you require running Java content in the browser.

Aug 24, 2019
I've tried to disable java through the java control panel, but the java control panel doesn't show up whether manually searching for it or by trying to open it with the command prompt. Any other ideas?