Cant install Vista on my new computer

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
How are you doing? I didn't realize that I was dissing you, I was seriously surprised at what you were saying.

I believe that the drivers for the Intel Matrix Storage Manager for the ICH8 and ICH9 are the same. Everyone seems to want AHCI because it is the latest and greatest. AHCI is good if you want RAID, NCQ, or hot swap. Other than that, the increase in speed appears to be negligible.

NCQ can give increased speed but it can also give decreased speed depending on the application. I believe that NCQ is primarily of importance in the server environment as opposed to the desktop. Additionally, the variations appear to be different depending on the HD.

From what I have read if you want a lot of drives working simultaneously you may be able to show a more substantial benefit by going to AHCI. I could be wrong about that. Certainly, if you want to set up a RAID in the future it would be wise to enable AHCI. IMO, for one or two disks there is no real benefit to AHCI at this point. I'm sure many disagree. If he is having problems it would be wise to set the SATA to IDE emulation and move forward.

newnerd

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2006
Hello Zorg:
Sorry about the diss remark......mixed your post up with another saying someone who has 2 Vista PC & an XP and has built 5 others doesn't have a clue kind of irked me. I don't claim to know everything but try to post replies that are backed by the manufacturers recommendations. The man with the problem has one of the best CPU's ever built, one of the best Graphics cards and a nice motherboard.....seemed ashame not to take advantage of every possible speed increase since all his purchases indicate he's after speed. That's why I suggested installing the latest chipset drivers and enabling RAID for possible future needs.

newnerd

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2006
Hi again Zorg!
Just wanted to mention......my main Vista Ultimate pc with a pair of Sata drives in RAID 0 moves video files at 70 mbs a second compared to my XP pc in Sata mode moving them at 25-30 mbs. I love RAID 0! at least until one of the drives fails!

poh

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
Install with only 2 Gig of Ram in the system. Then add the other two...

My 2 cents says it will solve your problem...

smack64

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2007
I just spent two evenings trying to get Vista to intall on entirely new hardware, except for the case and the DVD drives. XP would initiate the install just fine. Vista seems to be completely under-equipped in the drivers department.

My DVD drive was the problem. Just bought a new one with the "works with vista" logo and it just installed like a charm. Bad Microsoft for driver deficiency. I was one last try from giving this hardware away and buying an iMac.

Also, to ease the drivers problems, download vlite. Copy the contents for the vista installation disc into a directory, add the latest drivers from your chipset and video card manufacturer, and re-image all of that onto a new installation disc. It is very easy and self explanatory once you are in vlite.

With this disc, it loads the latest drivers for your hardware during the install.

Hope that helps, but if it is crashing at the beginning of an XP install as well, I would be troubleshooting hardware failure.

However, do yourself a favor and make sure you have a brand new DVD drive for your Vista install.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Ah, the age old argument about RAID. I'm sure if you run a search you will find some heated battles here about that. A lot of people love it, but then you see the threads about how the RAID crashed and they are crying about how they lost the data that they absolutely need. I also hear about people's mobo dying and the new mobo has a different controller and they can't get the RAID to work. I can't deal with the risk of RAID0. All I can say is backup regularly. I use a Raptor which gives me about 78MB/sec., that goes down as you move along the platters. That works for me, but there are more than a few around here that have Raptors in RAID0. A lot of the new drives are really giving the Raptor a serious run for top dog. The Raptor is only hanging on due to it's fast seek times. The Raptor really needs PMR and they should probably make it SATA 3Gb/sec. at the same time.

Well I never had that problem with my old DVD drive. But it seems some do. As far as drivers are concerned that's one of Vistas strong points. Many more new drivers are included on the DVD than on the old XP cd's. Mainly because it's much newer, though the extra space may have something to do with it too I suppose.

bydesign

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
Newnerd settle down and for the record my PC resides in a 426 Hemi engine block engine stand and all so I doubt your PC is bigger than mine ;)

The point is he's doesn't appear to be getting that far and drive seems fine. It also sounds like he just wants it working complicating the matter isn't the right approach. At this point he needs to keep it simple.

gatsten303

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007
Thx for all your good advice during the night. Have school now but will pick up a new dvd-drive on the way home with S-ATA. There are lots of good ideas and I will try them tonight. Was thinikng about the Rams as well. The 8800gt is so long I think I have to remove it on order to get two of the four rams out though:(
Will post my results as soon as possible.

Thx for now:)

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
One other thing you might try is loading a copy of Kubuntu. It runs in RAM so you don't need an HD at all. It should load on there, the video might be default but you can see if it crashes. Also you can Download Ultimate Boot CD and run memtest86+. You will need to burn the ISOs to CD with ISO Recorder v 2. That will also give you an idea if the machine itself is flaky.

gatsten303

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007
Hi everybody

Have just finished installing Vista. I bought a new dvd, this one with S-ATA and it worked from the beginning:)
Thx a lot for all your efforts and help:)

/Peter

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Im so sorry, I had it backwards. The sata is controlled by the Intel chipset and the Gsata is controlled by the Gigabyte controller. A simple mistake.
Zorg did you really feel it necessary to send me a childish pm telling me your tired of my BS? Grow up kid.
No, I said I was weary of slamming you on a public forum about it. So what you can't read either? :pt1cable:

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I'm glad you got it worked out. :bounce: One day they will get those crappy add-on controllers to work right.

MSI is back on my acceptable list. I had a 865 neo2 and it did serve me well for many years.

killerb255

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006

32 or 64 bit?

Don't bother with 32-bit. 64-bit SCREAMS with 4+ GB of RAM.

In any case, I have to agree with a few people that the problem is your DVD drive.

Sometimes it's the simple stuff rather than the more complex explanation.

newnerd

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2006
Hello ByDesign:
Nice to know I'm not the only one who has to use a winch to lift his pc from the dolly on the floor up to the workbench to avoid back ailments! :)

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
No, I said I was weary of slamming you on a public forum about it. So what you can't read either?

Well Ive forwarded your pm's to the forum moderator who says he's growing weary of you. This is a public forum and I guess you'll just have to get used to people making mistakes once in a while. Its part of growing up kid.
You have got to be kidding me, that's funny.

By the way, in case you haven't noticed, they read most of the PMs anyway. So stop your whining.