Question Can't install Windows 7 due to virus I think

Prominent
Mar 23, 2019
So I installed Windows 7 on a computer using USB, no issues some time later the computer got infected with viruses and constantly getting pop-ups

So I was going to simply re-install Windows 7 to remove the viruses as there was really nothing on the computer besides Google Chrome.

But instead when I went to boot from USB I get a black screen with the "Error loading operating system"

Can someone help me please I need to get this computer back to a working state asap.

OK. So you can get the boot menu with F12, select the flash drive and then the error comes up? Have you tried different USB ports?

Also, a note on Windows, Windows 7 will reach end of support in about a year. That means no more updates - though they can be a PITA they are important to keep the system secure against new threats. Windows 10 will still activate with the key from 7 (it's one of those 'badly kept secrets' that this still happens well after the free upgrade offer officially ended)

Prominent
Mar 23, 2019
OK. So you can get the boot menu with F12, select the flash drive and then the error comes up? Have you tried different USB ports?

Also, a note on Windows, Windows 7 will reach end of support in about a year. That means no more updates - though they can be a PITA they are important to keep the system secure against new threats. Windows 10 will still activate with the key from 7 (it's one of those 'badly kept secrets' that this still happens well after the free upgrade offer officially ended)
Yep just like that, yeah tried different ports.

Yeah the laptop is really old though, just wanna stick with 7.

howtobeironic

Honorable
Jun 16, 2018
Quick thing, try using a different program like Windows 7 USB/DVD Download tool (psst, it's actually a bootable disk burner for Windows iso files from Windows) if you keep failing, and try booting some else OS like Ubuntu to see if it's Windows-specific.